Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting sw-2960 to UC 540

mohdibrahim01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have UC540 configured to work as VOIP and Internet access gateway now and sw-3750 as core and 2 sw-3750-SFP for fiber uplink connectivity

i want to configure all the Vlans on sw-3750 Data,vocie and Wireless and route all traffic to UC540 only.

how can i make this

location network_2012.jpg

Thanks

10 Replies 10

crowe
Level 1
Level 1

Very simple,

At the very least you would need to setup trunk links on your switches.  3750 modules don't have 5 uplink ports so you might need to have a copper run between one of your switches.  Unles you have the all SFP version.

Some of the other areas you will need to setup are below.

Spanning Tree

Switch Priority - Root Switch

Root Guard - Root switch

BDPU Guard - Access Ports

Portfast - Acces Ports

Storm Control - Access Ports

Turn Off DTP on all trunk ports and hardcode it to a trunk

Port Security - Access Ports

Set maxmium mac addresses to two

Set Errdisable to 60 seconds

QoS

I would use use AutoQos to keep things simple

Hi,

Now im thinking to configuer the VLAN's in the 3750 as core insted of configuer them in UC540 and configuer layer 3 between 3750 and UC .or just keep it layer 2 and pass all the vlans in the UC540 to the other switchs'?

thanks

You have so many switches and so many devices that it would make more sense to have the 3750's do the routing.   You an enterprise model so you should configure your network that way with a core, distribution and access layer.  Without the layer 3 switches, all traffic from your access layer will need to be handled by the routing table in the UC500, which is software.  3750's use FIB and TCAM to forward traffic which is handled by Cisco ASIC's chip. Since traffic is processed by hardware, it will yield much faster results.

UC500 = Core

3750 = Distribution

2960 = Access

Your root switch would be one of the 3750's and the other 3750 should have a slightly higher priority.  Lower is better when it comes to spanning tree bridge priority.

That's mean i delete all the Vlans from UC540 and configure  them in 3750 and create routed interface between UC540 and 3750 where all LAN switching .but which is recommended to configure VTP mode as Transparent or server / client mode .

VLANS i listed

VL10 MGT

VL20 Data

VL30 Voice

VL40 Wireless

Default gateway should be SW-3750.?

Thanks

Yes the default gateway would be set to the 3750's vlan int or virtual ip if you were using HSRP (depending on the IOS).  You would need to setup vlan interfaces on your switch, then a point to point link between your router and switch.  You would also keep the DHCP pools on the router but delete the VLANs on it.  Make sure you include DHCP helper addresses on the VLAN interfaces so that all your phones and PC's can grab an IP address

VTP is up to you.  Some people like it and some people have gotten burned before.  Server / client is the recommend version so that you have the same exact vlan's across the entire network and one point of admin for them.  Make sure you setup the VTP password also.

Hi

i trid to changed the Fast interface on the UC540 from swithcport to routed interface but i cant it keep give me :

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links FastEthernet0/1/8.

even no switchport command not working..

"flash:uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.150-1.XA3a" IOS version

any suggestion

Those ports are not L3 routable ports.  In your scenario you can use CCA for everything.  Is your UC500 configured via CLI or CCA?  Also is your company Express UC or Advanced UC certified?

The UC540 has been configured via CCA but now im configuring  it Via CLI and the software version  is CME 8.0.2

I would stick with CCA because if you go the CLI route, you won't be supported by Cisco.

Hi All,

i think i solve it ,i create following vlans:

Vlan 1 default keep it as data vlan

Vl 30 for voice

Vl 40 Wireless

and assign vlan for each vlan as switch access port and connected them to the 3750 and assign same VLANs on other side ,create trunk port with 2960 which is visable to all other switch in the network .and every thing is ok

Thanks all so support

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: