Views
Helpful
Replies

Create a programmable softkey to transfer to voicemail SPA50xg

saviperez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm using SPA508G phones with 3cx PBX system. I want to create a programmable softkey to, basically, do a bxfer but directly to voicemail. The code to transfer to voicemail on our 3CX system is '*4' so I would need the button to act as a bxfer with *4 pre-appended. Is this possible? If not, is there a way to achieve what I need?

Thanks to all for your help.

5 Replies 5

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As far as I know, no.

There are two ways to implement bXfer feature. The first one use SIP protocol specific construct to implement it. It's driven from phone's side and it's the way the bXFer PSK is using. But you can't preconfigure destination number with it. It will ask for destination. You can configure your's PBX to consider bXfer to some short number to be "goto VoiceMail" order, so user need not to enter so long number, but you can't save user for entering number at all.

The second one is protocol-agnostic way. It use DTMF tones. It's driven by PBX. Unfortunately, there's no way to configure either line or PSK key to send a DTMF into existing call.

Well, there may be a solution. A XML CiscoIPPhoneExecute application invoked by line key (prg=xml ...) and such application may use ExecuteItem URL="Key:..." to simulate user's keypress on keypad.

I didn't tried it. It may or may not work. Also, it may work but it may not work reliably.

Rate useful advices. It will help others to found solutions.

Thanks Dan,

I'm more interested in the first way. I don't care if users have to enter destination, what would ideally like is that whatever extension they enter, have an appended number to it. BTW, the *4 code can be changed to anything else. How would I tell the PBX that the bxfer is a short code for go to voicemail since the *98 (the bxfer code on the phone) is not goint through to the PBX, only what I enter afterwards. Unless I'm not correct on this assumption.

Finally, if I were to try the XML implementation and since I'm new to Cisco programming, could you give me an example of how to write such XML CiscoIPPhoneExecute application?

Again, thanks for your help.

I tell the PBX that the bxfer is a short code for go to voicemail since the *98 (the bxfer code on the phone) is not going through to the PBX, only what I enter afterwards.

You still doesn't understand.

The first method I mentioned is same as call transfer to someone else. But destination number is a special number dedicated by 3cx to purpose of transfer to VM.

The *4 DTMF embedded in current call is NOT phone number. It's feature code. It has nothing to do with any number you can dial.

If you decide to use first method, you must transfer the call to the number dedicated by 3cx for such purpose. E.g. you need to press bXfer PSK (or press *98 which is the same as pressing bXfer button), then you need to enter the number of VM. Nothing should be prepended to the number of VM. The call needs to be transfered to this number, not to the modified another one. It's up to 3cx to recognize the line as special VM line and acts accordingly.

Note that the VM number may or may not be the same as *4 feature same. In many cases (but I'm not expert on 3cx) they are not the same.

To avoid confusion:

1. pressing *4 during the call is definitely not the same as transfer the call to line *4

2. pressing bXfer IS the same as pressing *98. In both case it will ask for destination number and call will be transferred to such number

So  the first step you need to take - you need to determine if your's 3cx allow the call to be TRANSFERRED to VM (again, it's not the same action as requesting feature *4 for current call). And which number you need to transfer the call to.

You need to debug/configure it on 3cx side, ask 3cx experts (or vendor support if any) for help.

Then you can transfer the call pressing bXfer button (or *98 sequence) and fill VM number as destination upon request.

Finally, if I were to try the XML implementation and since I'm new to Cisco programming, could you give me an example of how to write such XML CiscoIPPhoneExecute application?

Yes. Note that XML application games require you have a WWW server reachable from phone.

For "how to invoke own XML application" read Accessing Cisco XML Services on SPA500G series IP Phones document. I would like to recommend you to configure your first application in spare Line key. It's easier that playing with all those PSK configurations. You can move it to PSK later.

The content of XML file supplied by server is rather simple. To simulate the key press of *4:

<CiscoIPPhoneExecute>
<ExecuteItem Priority="0" URL="Key:KeyPadStar" />
<ExecuteItem Priority="0" URL="Key:KeyPad4" />
</CiscoIPPhoneExecute>

For list of available keys (as well as other related informations) read Internal URI Features. Note that not all features mentioned in such document are available on SPA508G

Again, thank you very much for your help. I will try your solutions.

Don't forged to describe solution here, if you will found the one.

Helpful comments will be/should be rated, so they will help others to found solutions ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: