cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUE IMAP Bugs

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

So we have been fighting a bug for a long time now, and really want to find some kind of workaround for our customers.

The issue is: non-outlook imap clients (ESPECIALLY iPhones) cause mailboxes to "lock up" and get stuck in some sort of error message loop until CUE is rebooted. Cisco has declared they are not interested in fixing this because "only outlook is supported". This bug has been around for years now.

Almost everyone wants their voicemail on their smartphones now, and they HATE having to go back to their phone to delete messages they've already deleted on their phone.

So to the actual question,

Does anyone know if using an IMAP connector in exchange (then using exchange on the smart phones) is equivalent to using outlook?

Any other suggested work-arounds?

Thanks.

EDIT: The fact that a "defective" (or unsupported client) can "corrupt" CUE seems like a security flaw to me. Regardless of Cisco's support for clients, it should not be possible for a mis-behaving client to DAMAGE CUE. It seems insane to me that they have no interest in fixing this. It would be one thing if we were requesting support for getting an unsupported IMAP client to work with CUE, but this is clearly a bug in CUE, NOT the IMAP client.

5 Replies 5

Hello Daniel,

Please check the following link for the client compatibility with the CUE:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/administrator/AA_and_VM/guide/advVM.html#wp1025266

HTH,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts

Interesting, that is different than the list I was looking at.

What is "Iphone third party clients"?

Also, while useful, it doesn't really answer my question.

Thanks though.

I am glad that this was useful.

Daniel Placek wrote:

The issue is: non-outlook imap clients (ESPECIALLY iPhones) cause  mailboxes to "lock up" and get stuck in some sort of error message loop  until CUE is rebooted. Cisco has declared they are not interested in  fixing this because "only outlook is supported". This bug has been  around for years now.

Well it answers to some extent because you need some solution based on non-outlook email clients - well that is it - Cisco Mobile 8 for IPhone. I believe I have provided the answer or at least one. I have not answered the question on how the IMAP connector in exchange is working which is not quite cisco oriented. But I believe somebody else could answer that.

Best regards,

Alex

Thanks for following up on this Alex.

What I am really trying to get out of this thread:

1. What is the recommended/supported way to get -synced- voicemail to email on the iPhone?

2. Same question for Android.

I simply cannot imagine that there is not a solution for this -- is there a single customer now-adays that does not want this? Everyone has a smartphone.

You mention Cisco Mobile 8 for the iPhone -- I assume you mean the jabber client?

What about using this out of the office? Would this mean that just to get voicemail to email the client would have to purchase an ASA... that they don't otherwise need?

Thanks.

Hello Daniel,

Together with Alexander we've tested iPhone mail client with IMAP server in CUE - it works perfectly fine. By default IMAP server in CUE is configured with the following settings:

IP address: 10.1.10.1

Protocol: IMAP

Port: TCP 143

Encryption: none.

To configure IMAP account in iPhone, go to Settings, Mail, Add Account, Other. Tap on Add Mail Account, and proceed with configuration as for any other IMAP server using the information above. Just to mention - IMAP protocol use case-sensitive usernames, so ensure that BOTH username and password entered in iPhone are the same as in CUE. During the setup iPhone will ask you for SMTP settings as well, you may enter whatever you want, anyway this account will be used in read-only mode The best about this integration is that iPhone perfectly plays VM messages that are being stored in the Inbox folder, so you not only receive a notification for new message, but you may play it on the phone.

Also, if you need to have an access to your VM Inbox from remote networks, you can set a static NAT for TCP 143 to be redirected from WAN interface to 10.1.10.1 I've tested it on my UC560 - it works perfectly fine.

HTH,

Ivan

*Please, rate all helpful posts*

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: