cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Detect Fax Tone on FXO & Route to FXS?

arcticsands
Level 1
Level 1

Can the UC320W detect a fax tone on an FXO line and automatically route that call to the FXS port?

Thanks,

Mike                  

4 Replies 4

wenyang
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Mike,

You can configure the inbound call through FXO route to FXS extension. If you dedicate this FXO line for fax, I would suggest you connect fax machine directly to FXO line.

Best regards,

Wendy

Hi Wenjin (Wendy),

I have three (3) dedicated FXO lines for voice and one (1) FXO line dedicated and directly connected to the Fax machine.

I was trying to get a little adventurous and see if I could utilize all four FXO lines into the UC320W and the phone service provider's hunt function to use, in the event of a 4th incoming voice call, the fax phone number (4th FXO line) thus getting a much better utilization factor on that 4th FXO line.  This would only work if the UC320W could be configured to detect a fax tone on that 4th FXO line and subsequently direct it to the FXS port where the fax machine could be connected.

Essentially, I was hoping to be able to utilize all FXO lines to their "full capacity".  As you know very few people send faxes anymore (mostly scan attachments to emails) resulting in two things: a) my dedicatated FXO fax line rarely ever gets used (poor payout); and, b) as the business grows and I could use that 4th FXO line, I can't so I'm forced into a different phone service provider connection type (SIP?).

Do you know if Cisco is considering a FXO to FXS fax detection and direction functionality modification to the firmware (if hardware permissible of course)?

Ever so much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

The incoming fax tone can't be automatically detected and routed to FXS port. You need to configure the route to have the 4th FXO routed to FXS extension. This 4th FXO line can be used as outbound trunk for the outgoing voice calls though besides of inbound and outbound fax calls.

Regards,

Wendy

Hello Wendy,

Understood.  Essentially, if I route as you say, I get to use the 4th FXO for outgoing voice (besides the outgoing and incoming fax).  The functionality I was hoping for is almost there (I get 3/4's of a full 4th FXO utilization).

Thanks,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: