cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does the uc320 require a static IP? - And support question

JimNtexas
Level 1
Level 1

1)  In our uc320 configured as key system with POTS lines we sometimes get telephone reboots at random times.

Our internet service using dynamic DNS.  Is it possible that the uc320w will reboot when our dynamic ip changes?

Or to put it another way, does the uc320 require a static IP for shared voice and internet through the uc320?

2)  My UC-320 is out of warrenty so I've lost phone support from Cisco.   The Cisco operator coiuldn't tell me how I could pay for contihnued phone support for my uc320 in Austin, Texas USA.   I really don't want to go back to the vendor who sold me the system, I just want to buy access to Cisco telephone support.  How do I do that?

TIA

4 Replies 4

JimNtexas
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I found the answer to my question #1 in the uc320w trouble shooting guide.  Phone reboots can be caused by

"Reassignment of IP Address.".

I'm pretty disappointed that my Cisco vendor didn' t know this when they installed our system.

So now I just need to know how to get phone support to help me reconfigure my system.

Hi Jim,

Call this number if you're located in the US: 1 866 606 1866.  You should be able to pay a one time fee for support or you can purchase a Contract for the device.

I may be missunderstanding you but if you're just renewing your WAN IP address the phones or phone system shouldn't reboot.  The phones may lose network connectivity when their DHCP leases expire and they need to obtain a new one though.

-Trent Good

** Please rate useful posts! **

-Trent Good ** Please rate useful posts! **

Thanks for the prompt reply Trent.  That is the number I called, and the person who took my call tried to look up something but said she couldn't do it.  Perhaps she had language or IT issues, I'll try again.

With respect to the phones resetting when the UC320W recieves an updated IP address, I'm quoting from a Cisco document: 

supportforums dot cisco dot com slash docs slash DOC-16469

Unexpected Phone Reset

• Unexpected Phone Resets might be caused by one of the following conditions:                      
    • Power Surge ... any of the following affected components could exhibit this symptom                      
      • UC320W
      • Switch that phones are connected toPhones
      • Phones
    • Switch Improperly configured or out of date firmware                      
      • ESW 500 switches must be upgraded to at least the 2.1.19 firmware to address known connectivity problems.
    • Internet Connection Disrupted - UC320W currently resets phones whenever something happens that results in the reconfiguration of the WAN connection.  This can included any of the following:                      
      • Disconnection of WAN cable.
      • Loss of Internet service.
      • Reassignment of IP Address.
    • For these reasons it is recommended that you provide a stable WAN connection to your ISP using a static IP address and use an UPS to provide backup power to your UC320W, ISP modem and any network operation critical device in the event of power outage.

Can you cofirm that this document is correct with respect reassignment of IP addresses?

Thank you.

i have several deployed using dymanic on WAN side

in our case the WAN side address rarely changes if ever

so we dont notice a thing

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: