cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Download rights for IPCC with UC560 system?

esmythe
Level 1
Level 1

We purchased a UC560 system and the SBS Pro service with it.  However the client CCO associated with that contract does not have download rights for IPCC.  Is the softphone under a different name on the Cisco download page?  Do I need to contact Cisco to get these permissions granted?  Anyone happen to know which of my myriad Cisco support email addresses is the correct one for this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It's not free, it's just like buying a phone.  The UC500 only gives you the license so that you can use it on the system.  If you had Call Manager you would need to buy UCL's or CUWL to use CIPC.  CIPC is $90 list, here is the top level SKU

IPCOMM86-SW.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Cisco-IP-Communicator-v.-8.6-license/2462004.aspx?enkwrd=ALLPROD%3a%7cIPCOMM86-LIC%7cAll%20Product%20Catalog

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco recently decided that they wanted to squeeze every single possible penny out of their customers and waste a colossal amount of their "partners" time by completely locking down everything on their download section. For some reason you are not able to download CIPC at all anymore. I called Cisco partner advisor and they seemed to think it was some kind of bug, but were just as confused as I was in regard to the changes in download permissions.

From what I have been able to gather, you will now only be able to download software for devices that you have an active service contract for (and it must be associated with your CCO ID). It is unclear how this applies to CIPC since it is not tied to any single hardware device. (and as far as I know its "free" software if you have UC500 or CME -- but maybe thats no longer the case?)

I've been meaning to send something to Cisco complaining about how totally irritating and time consuming this is. Especially since the department that handles complaints regarding download errors wants screenshots, contract numbers, contact info, error messages, etc etc... I dont know about the rest of you, but I don't have the time in my day to sit around doing that kind of thing - especially for something that *should* be really simple.

My message to Cisco: Quit making things harder for your PARTNERS. All you are doing is encouraging people to go eleseware to get your software. It is not reasonable to have to wait days/weeks/months to have your "download permissions" fixed (If indeed Cisco is even willing to "fix" them). I cannot go to my customers and tell them... well sorry Cisco's site won't let me download it, give me a few weeks or so.

Sorry for highjacking your thread -- this has just got me really aggravated. Even beyond this particular issue, this makes some other things -- like lab/training equipment -- so much harder to deal with.

EDIT:

P.S. To answer your original question -- I am told that TAC might be able to just send you the software (1-866-606-1866). Alternatively you can contact Partner Advisor (1-877-873-5488).

Thank you for assuring me that I'm not alone Daniel!

-e

I just also want to note that I am also noticing the same behavior. Also with other Cisco products.

Sent from my iPhone

Daniel Placek wrote:

Sorry for highjacking your thread -- this has just got me really aggravated. Even beyond this particular issue, this makes some other things -- like lab/training equipment -- so much harder to deal with.

I am a little salty about the new policy also because of lab purposes.  Certifications like CCNP Voice and Wireless will be expensive even with a NFR at 80% off list.

esmythe
Level 1
Level 1

Here is Cisco's response to my request for download rights to CIPC:

Also please be informed that the contract that you provided does not grant access to the file requested. To get access to the Cisco IP communicator you must have 1 of the following product family groups listed under active software contract: SFTCLNT, UWL-BE, UWL-STD, UWL-PRO, CUWP, UWL-ENT

I am slightly irritated at this.  I understand SBCS systems come with CIPC licenses.  However, they do not include a download in the package, but do not allow you to download the software because I don't have an explicit service contract for the software. Good application of Catch 22?

-e

I have never heard that the UC500 systems come with CIPC licenses.  Where have you seen this?

Edit:

Looks like it was only for the UC520 system from what I have gathered.

It's not free, it's just like buying a phone.  The UC500 only gives you the license so that you can use it on the system.  If you had Call Manager you would need to buy UCL's or CUWL to use CIPC.  CIPC is $90 list, here is the top level SKU

IPCOMM86-SW.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Cisco-IP-Communicator-v.-8.6-license/2462004.aspx?enkwrd=ALLPROD%3a%7cIPCOMM86-LIC%7cAll%20Product%20Catalog

This was always going to happen

Did 3 installs where they had 0 hard phones and all CIPC, primarily because they were tight a**es and didn't want to spend money, I gather these types of installs hurt Cisco's bottom line.

It was good whilst it lasted though

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I thought some of you might find this interesting.

I stumbled on this post about this topic:

http://packetpushers.net/cisco-makes-it-harder-to-download-bug-free-ios/

The article itself is a good read, but it's the coments that are really telling.

I really hope Cisco takes note of this -- though I kindof doubt they will.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: