cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Edit line key labels via sip notify

sonicz5039
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if the following was possible. Is it possible to edit any part of a Cisco SPA series phone's config via a sip notify or similar method. I have an asterisk server where we created a system to move around extensions from device to device without requiring a reprovision/reboot (in the most cases expected for the feature, new phones or complete swaps may or may not require provisioning). The issue with this if that when you move Extension A from Device 1 to Device 2, the labels obviously don't update unless you edit the configuration via the web gui or provisioning.

I was looking for a way to edit the line key labels without having to reboot via a sip notify message similar to how you can tell a SPA phone to resync its config via sip notify.

From google searches this seems not to show many results so I am inclined to think it's not likely to be possible. So I was asking here as one of the last resorts before redesigning part of the idea.

The web GUI isn't an option for me due to some of the phones may be behind different firewalls, proxies, or the webgui unaccessable.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You avoided SIP Notify as well as configuration change. But phone keys are mislabeled.

I call it severe bug, you have no system suitable for deployment.

But it seems you accept such behavior as feature of the system you designed.

It's your system - thus your opinion is decisive.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
  we created a system ... without requiring a reprovision/reboot

Bad news - you have no such system. Configuration of the phone either via WW UI or via provisioning is required to change Line Key description. If WWW UI is unsuitable for you, then provisioning (may be triggered by SIP NOTIFY: resync) is your only friend.

Regardless if you believe me or not, I avoided SIP notify and rewriting the config when they move an extension due to the way I created the dialplan for the system. Since in most cases I can direct one dialed extension to a specific device so that it can be moved without having to move a sip user from the old device to the new one. Its just people using it probably would find it confusing if they move Extension 10 over Extension 11 at a new desk, but the line key label still says 11.

If there isn't a way to just push specific commands like change Line Key 1's label to ABCD via a sip message, then I can close this.

You avoided SIP Notify as well as configuration change. But phone keys are mislabeled.

I call it severe bug, you have no system suitable for deployment.

But it seems you accept such behavior as feature of the system you designed.

It's your system - thus your opinion is decisive.

True, it can be seen as a massive oversight/bug on the system. It's not in production either yet so the labels are not a problem (yet). Since the sip notify can't change it without rebooting, I'll just have to figure out another idea or different thing for the labels to display instead such as Line 1, Line 2, etc. Thanks for the help, back to the drawing board it seems for this part of the system.

You may consider SPCP mode of phone. It may allow something like you wish for.

But I have zero experience with it, not I know there's working SPCP (or extended SCCP) channel driver for Asterisk.