Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet Disconnected Strangeness

nc12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

We have been installing new Cisco IP phones and switches into our existing network.  To that end, we have been replacing some older Cisco 3560 24 port PoE switches with newer 3560X 24 port PoE switches.  So far, I've replace about 15 3560 switches with the 3560X switches.

I have a couple sites where I have installed the new 3560X switch into the same rack as the old 3560 switch and moved the patch cords port for port from the old switch to the new switch (thus the only thing different is the new switch) and on the other end, one or two phones (out of say 15 phones connected to the new switch) will power up but then say "Ethernet Disconnected" and will not come all the way up.  I can take the patch cord related to that phone and move it back to the old 3560 and the 'bad' phone comes right up as per normal.

Scanning the Internet, most folks say that this problem is due to wiring.  But, my Fluke testing equipment says the wire from one end to the other is fine (and the phone works fine when attached to the old switch).  Taking the phone and connecting it via patch cord directly to the new switch, the phone works fine (so it seems like wall wiring if not for the fact that the phone works fine with that same wall wiring and patch cords on the old switch).

I've tried setting the 3560X switch port to 100/Full to see if it is a speed/negotiation thing.  No difference.

I've checked the Inline power and the total does not seem to be anywhere near the limit.  The 'bad phone' is listed as an IEEE PD pulling 7.0 Watts (the rest of the Cisco phones are each pulling less than 6.0 Watts).

Has anyone else seen this or something like it?  Is there any known command I can give the 3560X that will make the port function 'the old way' (whatever that is)?  I'd hate to have to leave an extra 3560 switch in these locations just to run these couple of phones.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

1 Reply 1

nc12
Level 1
Level 1

Okay.  So, I figured it out and I post this in the hope of helping others....

The config on the new 3560X switch has MDIX OFF by default.  Changing the switchport to MDIX AUTO solved my problem.

The cable in the wall was punched down in such a way that I would need a Cross-Over patch cable rather than the Normal one.  The MDIX AUTO makes it so the switch does not care.

Thanks....