cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extend UC320 VLAN

josephmiller69
Level 1
Level 1

I have a UC320 and the coverage is not adequate to allow my wifi phones to connect.   I then purchased an AP541N access point, and would like the distant wifi phones to connect to the AP541N and register that way.   The phones don't seem to want to connect to the AP541N and struggle to get sufficient signal from the UC320.   Is there a better way to extend the reach of this network than the AP541N?  Is there a way to force the devices to bind to the AP541N?

Thanks for your help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

rbordner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Joseph,

Can you confirm the wifi phone model?  Are you refering to SPA525G2?

Can you provide the config of the AP541N? 

Couple additional questions to help identify the issue.

1) Is 802.11g enabled on the AP?  The SPA525G2 is 802.11g (not N).

2) What security profile is configured?  WEP, WPS, WPA, etc..  Any special characters in the pass phase i.e. space?

3) Can you connect a PC or other wireless device to the AP541N?

4) Can the phone connect without security enabled?

Starting point,

Randy

View solution in original post

Hi,

Make sure on the AP541N you create the exact same SSIDs as on your UC320W.  Voice SSID should be associated with VLAN 100 on the AP.  The security settings and password for each SSID should be exactly the same as configured on the UC320W.  In this version of the firmware the UC320W controls the WiFi settings for the built in WiFi of the SPA525.  The phone settings are based upon the WiFi values set in the UC320W WiFi settings page.

There is a nifty little free WiFi tool that may help you look at signal strength called inSSIDer.  You could run this on a PC near the phone and see the signal strength from the various APs by MAC address.

Chris

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

rbordner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Joseph,

Can you confirm the wifi phone model?  Are you refering to SPA525G2?

Can you provide the config of the AP541N? 

Couple additional questions to help identify the issue.

1) Is 802.11g enabled on the AP?  The SPA525G2 is 802.11g (not N).

2) What security profile is configured?  WEP, WPS, WPA, etc..  Any special characters in the pass phase i.e. space?

3) Can you connect a PC or other wireless device to the AP541N?

4) Can the phone connect without security enabled?

Starting point,

Randy

Hi,

Make sure on the AP541N you create the exact same SSIDs as on your UC320W.  Voice SSID should be associated with VLAN 100 on the AP.  The security settings and password for each SSID should be exactly the same as configured on the UC320W.  In this version of the firmware the UC320W controls the WiFi settings for the built in WiFi of the SPA525.  The phone settings are based upon the WiFi values set in the UC320W WiFi settings page.

There is a nifty little free WiFi tool that may help you look at signal strength called inSSIDer.  You could run this on a PC near the phone and see the signal strength from the various APs by MAC address.

Chris

Both of you are correct, and this problem is now resolved.   The phones only use 2.4Ghz / Wireless G, so the access point needs to be configured as such or the phones won't connect (duh!!).  This is not well highlighted but it is documented.   The other access point approaches to naming the SSIDs were in place already but now the problem is 100% solved with good coverage everywhere and all phones registered.

Hi Christopher,

I have simmilar problem, but I have uc 320w in office, with few computers and 3 phones SPA, we have now new warehouse across street and need one phone and one computer there as well, which hardware you will put on the other side. there are roof APs in Brodge already but need ap or router inside warehouse, so phone and computer can connect to uc320w in office.

Hi Eric,

You will need a Layer 2 solution because we don't do any routing on the LAN side.  Would look to trying to use an Ethernet segment that you can keep under 100 meters to the next switch.  Others on the forum might have other solutions.  Ethernet will give you the best data speeds and voice quality.

Hope this helps.

Chris

100m utp across a street .. impossible! I am in Calgary. Must be a solution, there is already bridge running 150mbit/s with 2.5ms.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: