cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

external paging

7bridgesol
Level 1
Level 1

just replaced a partner system.  Warehouse building.

Can I connect the page wire to any fxs ports and setup paging from the uc500?

15 Replies 15

That may be possible. It depends on the type of connection they have. What brand is the paging system?

On a side note, please notice that you can’t page IP phones and FXS ports at the same time with UC500. Only way to do this, is to buy the Cyberdata (3rd party certified vendor) multicast paging unit, speakers or interface to existing paging system. This will allow for multicast IP Phone page to go to speakers at the same time. This is a common TDM PBX Feature which CME and CUCM don’t support natively. More info at:

www.cyberdata.net

Thanks,

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

There is a great Webcast on this capability.  Complete setup and operation demo.

On this page:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-10460

Look here:

FXS/FXO Interface and Interconnect

FXS SPA8000 and Overhead Page Systems (Presentation.ppt)

7bridgesol
Level 1
Level 1

the customer is only concerned with paging to the warehouse.  offices are close enough.

I thought I woul d be able to extend the paging wire for the port on the partner phone system to an fxs port.  just page to that port?

Should be possible if that paging system is indeed electrically equivalent to a phone.

Marcos

Just so that everything is clear, there is no special paging configuration for this.  You will just need to call the number that is associated with that port.  The paging system should pick up automatically.

If the paging system was connected to the "page" port on the main base control card, that port is a "dry" audio output (no loop current).

How you have to interface to the paging system depends greatly on the paging device. Some take 600 ohm dry "telephone" audio (so it won't work on an FXO port). The paging can be activated with VoX or a contact closure. The Bogen TPU-35B, TPU-60B, and TPU-100B are examples of this type of paging system.

Other systems can interface to an FXO port, which makes it pretty easy. Less common are units that can connect to an FXS port.

You may need to add a Bogen TAM-B (or similar device from Valcom or others) to provide an FXO or FXS compatible interface to the Cisco system.

right now I have the cisco system using fxs port 0/1/0 extension number 302 plugged into the amp controlling the speakers in the warehouse.

The only problem I am having is, I need to have that extension 302 pickup so the caller can talk thru the speakers.  It just rings without a pickup.

How do I congifure that port to auto answer or at least immediate pickup?

This can't be done on an FXS port.  It must be done on the device that is plugged into the FXS port.  Electrically, the FXS port cannot do what it needs to, the end device must.

You will a paging device to make this work.

Bogen TPU-35B - would this work on FXS port? Or do you need Bogen TAM-B?

Still working on this? ;)

TPU is just an amp.

http://www.bogen.com/products/pdfs/telephonepagepdfs/TPU35Bm.pdf

TAMB converts FXO FXS, Page to over head page.  It basically converts anything to anything (always keep one in your truck).

If you use the TAMB with FXS you don't need to buy a -24v power supply because it will powered off the FXS.

http://www.bogen.com/products/pdfs/telephonepagepdfs/TAMBs.pdf

Was the partner using a Pagepac?  If so they sometimes have a trunk adapter on them and you may just be able to use an FXO if you have one.

Check this out to learn about the PagePac (if there is one out there) http://www.telecomuserguides.com/manuals/filesupload/Valcom/pagepac_connections_for_the_partner_plus-II.pdf

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

They have Bogen HTA-250 & TG-4C - would one of those connect to FXS/FXO?

No.  That is just an amp and a tone generator (maybe for a time clock or similar?)

Just buy a TAMB.  They are about $150.

Then:

Cisco FXS <-->  TAMB  <--> page input of amp (same one old system was using)

Just read the TAMB docs to set the dip sswitches correctly and everything should work great.

You will just dial the FXS extension to initiate a page.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

i don't mean to hijack this thread but can any one of you expert out there tell me if "Lucent Page Pac plus Amplicenter D100" works with both FXO and FSX port or just a specific one only?  If it happens to only work with one of the following port, which one, and is there a module that will allows it to support both ports like the Bogen TAMB for Bogen Amplifiers? 

I have no knowledge of phone/paging system and the one that is knowledgeable of these things just gotten let go from our company and now my supervisor asked me to find out. I did not even know what FSO/FXO port is or what it does either. thank you again

You need to post the make and model number of the paging system, so we can determine how you can interface to it.

If you connect to an FXS port, the paging system must act like a phone. When it gets ring current it has to go off hook, then it will receive the audio.

There is a good chance that the unit you have cannot do this without an additional adapter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: