Views
Helpful
Replies

Fax2Mail for BRI lines combining Fax and Voice

cisco43ftrd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got a UC560 that I need to configure for Fax2Mail. I've read through some guides and I'm following this guide for configuration:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9718 . Looking at some posts on this forum concerning Fax2Mail, this seems to be the standard configuration guide.

The UC is connected to three BRI lines for the same E.164 number that combine voice and fax. Currently the fax device has a separate extension.

Now before I try to configure Fax2Mail using this guide, there are some things that confuses me a little. The configuration I need is described at "Combining Voice an Fax on the Same POTS Line", but I'm not sure which of the previous steps of the T.37 onramp configuration are also needed. I hope someone can help me with these questions:

1) At "Using CCA to send calls to the fax Mailbox" the FXO port is assigned the extension that was configured for the fax mail box. I guess I can skip this part as faxes are not received on a specific line, but any of the three BRI lines. Or do I have to configure the extension at some place?

2) In the T.37 Onramp configuration, there's a headline "Configuring the MTA Settings and MMoIP Dial-Peer". I'm pretty sure I also need to configure this for my BRI lines, but what should I configure instead of "service fax_on_vfc_onramp_app out-bound" ?

Kind regards,

Rainhard

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You do not have to use the fax detect script. The reason is that you have dedicated number for voice and fax.

View solution in original post

Correct. In fact having multiple numbers is meant to enable that.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I can't answer about CCA, but you need an mmoip dial-peer for the fax number. That will have " service fax_on_vfc_onramp_app".

In the first scenario described in the guide (fax line connected to seperate FXO port) , the script "app-faxmail-onramp.2.0.1.3.tcl" is installed. Since I have BRI lines combining fax and voice, I have to use the script "app_fax_detect.2.1.2.2.tcl" for my configuration.

I assumed, that "fax_on_vfc_onramp_app" is some part of the app_faxmail_onramp script and therefore won't be available when using "app_fax_detect" for combined lines. Is that true, or is it a seperate service that's already present on the UC?

You do not have to use the fax detect script. The reason is that you have dedicated number for voice and fax.

Okay, I guess I misinterpreted the guide I referenced in my first post. So since I've got a seperate number for fax, I can simply use the onramp script as if there was a fax line connected via a seperate port.

Thank you!

Correct. In fact having multiple numbers is meant to enable that.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!.

I tried to configure fax2mail following the guide, but unfortunately it didn't work. I could not receive any faxes and the dial-peers that were connected with "service onramp" messed up regular telephony, so I removed the configuration.

I think I my description of the scenario was a bit sloppy, so this might clear things up a little:

I've got a UC560 connected with 3 BRI lines, that are shared by three companies with numbers like this:

Company A - Number 100

Company B - Number 200

Company C - Number 300

Company A is the only company, that receives fax via the BRI lines, company B has a seperate analog line for a fax device that's not connected to the UC, and company C doesn't use fax in any way.

Currently company A's fax device is connected to the UC via a FXS port and configured for extension 25.

So faxes for company A are sent to 100-25. That's what I meant when I said there's a seperate extension for fax! Voice and fax are still received on the BRI lines for number 100. So I guess fax and voice ARE combined on the same line?

Somehow I've got the feeling that I need the fax detect script...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: