cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Feature request: auto off display on SPA 525G2

andrewhotlab
Level 1
Level 1

We have changed several 79xx SIP phones with a bunch of new SPA 525G2. our users complain that the backlight is always on, even out of office hours causing some head issues. In effect we had configured the old phones to "turn off" the color display backlight during out of office hours and week ends, but this seems impossible to do with these models.

We think it would be a good idea to enable the "displayOnTime" and "displayOnDuration" parameters with the next firmware. We consider this a pretty basic feature for IP phone with color display of this class.

Does anyone agree with this consideration?

Andrew

5 Replies 5

Sure, your request is more than legitimate.

There must be very attention to GREEN IT themes.

Other vendors had implemented features to power off router panel LEDs, link LEDs, wifi, etc.

I think that these are good ideas.

andrewhotlab
Level 1
Level 1

To Cisco guys: there is any chance to have an "official" reply to this feature request?

TIA

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

andrewhotlab
Level 1
Level 1

I do not want to be pedantic, but at least a feedback from Cisco on this matter would be appreciated.

Sincerely.

Can you not just set the "Screen Saver Type" in the User menu, to "black" ?

Or alternatively if you want a greener approach, look at Cisco Energywise, which basically allows you to switch the ports off entirely after hours and save even more power, at the expense of the phones being fully off after hours (and thus unusable).

There is not only the energy aspect: to turn off displays out of working hours avoids to overheat them and should make their life longer. However, I cannot schedule the screen saver activation, but only make it start after a inactivity timeout: we don't want the phone screen to turn off during working hours.

I guess it's not such a complex work to implement this basic feature in the firmware.