cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Floating Extensions

John Gawf
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like the floating extensions available in CCA3.0 have to be associated with an extension that has a physical phone.  Is there any way to set up a floating extension that can just receive and access VM without involving someones extension that has a phone?

3 Replies 3

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes.  Thats the main use.  CF All to somewhere else (like a cell phone).

Steve,

Thanks.  CCA docs are vague.  pg310 of 3.0 manual says "A floating extension is an extension that is not associated with any phone".

Cell phone won't work for us as we want a landing number to redirect a call if they want to leave a voice message in a general delivery VM so multiple administrators can pick up the VMs.  The install is in a large church where there are 40 phones, but they get many calls and after hour calls need the option for a general delivery VM box.  Am I missing something here since there is a VM option on the floating extension config, but the calls are going to get forwarded to the phone's VM.

Does Enterprise voice have this feature?  I'd like to see a feature like this added in future UC500.

Can you recommend any configuration to get a shared VM, but the administrators can still have their own VM with their phones?

Hi John,

If I am following you correctly, it would appear you want the following:

• A General Delivery Mail Box
  • Night Service to forward all calls to the GDM
  • Ability to assign authority to certain extensions to access this GDM

If the above is correct, this is a straight forward setup

Basical you do the following:

1. Use CCA to setup Night Service, choose to do it manually via a dial code such as *1234 or have it come on at your designated times
  2. Creat a GDM and assign either an extension (Normaly Reception is the best practice for this) or a Blast Group to the GDM
  3. Setup the authorised extension using the phone to gain access to the GDM and do the recordings etc..etc..

In the past people would use a DN as the GDM, this was tricky as there was never a phone associated to it and you would apply a Call Forwad All on the DN to point straight to VM, it would have its own recording and you would assign that DN to a button on the phone so that, that particular phone would be allowed to access the Voice Mail of that DN.

I think you use best practices when using GDM and the creation of them, you should be able to achieve exactly what you want, otherwise I guess you can give CCA a shot at creating a dummy DN (But it must be associated to a button at least) and use that as a GDM of sorts, but I dont encourage this as it really is not the right way of doing it

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: