Helpful
Replies

FXO Line on a SPA525G won't ring

Brent Conway
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Hoping someone has seen this before.

I have a FXO line coming into a UC540, and have programmed it as a 'CO line' on the first button of a SPA525G phone.

The line works fine for outbound calls.  For inbound calls, the phone will not ring.  The key lights up red, so there is an appearance of an incoming call, and you can answer the call ... but no ring tone.

I have a ring programmed on this line button (it works for normal or shared extensions), so it's not that.

Any ideas?

Any help you wonderful people can provide is always appreciated!!

Brent

11 Replies 11

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Brent, 

Can you please take a screen shot of the settings in CCA and post it.  

Cheers,

David.

Posted from my mobile device.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David,

Thanks for your response.

I've attached a screen shot from CCA.  As you can see it's very simple - you simply assign the co line to the key.  It doesn't allow you to configure ring/no ring - you have to configure the ring for the line from the phone itself.

And again I can confirm it is configured to ring.  If I swap out the CO Line for any other kind of appearance (a normal or shared extension for example), it rings for incoming calls.  As soon as I change it to a CO Line, the line indicator goes red on an incoming call, but the phone does not ring.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Brent

Hi Brent,

OK I am now stumped, I have tried it here and could not re-produce the problem.

What Software Pack are you running and what firmware version of the phones are you running?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David,

The UC540 is running CME 8.1, and phone firmware 7.4.8 on the SPA525G.  Just to rule out the phone, I programmed the FXO line on a SPA504G running 7.4.8a, and same result ... on an incoming call, the line button glows red but does not ring.

With so little to configure here, I'm wondering if this could be a hardware issue with the UC540?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Brent

Brent,

I have a question or two for you

You have a FXO line mapped to a button on the SPA525G and you need to be able to have that line ring

If this is correct, then look at this lab and see if it gives you what you need

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15755

I hope this helps you out

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for your response.

I went through your attachment, and I can confirm that the line will ring using this configuration (where I assign an extension to the key, and point the FXO line to the extension).  I had it set up like this before.

But can you not simply assign the FXO line to the phone and have it ring?  And be able to seize the line directly by pressing the line key, and make an outbound call without dialling 9?

Or is this a limitation of the UC540?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Brent

Brent,

Sounds like you just wanted to configure it as a key system

With CCA 3.1 you have limitations on behaviors, I have found a lot of

partners that thru education can move customers to the new thinking

They do use the lab for the smaller deployments that are use to a key system

Have you looked at the UC320 as a option

David Dunlap

Technical Enablement Engineer

Cisco Small Business

NC & SC Operations Area

www.cisco.com/go/ciscosmallbiz

adunlap@ciscosmallbiz.com

Phone: +1.864.399.8145

Partner CVent Calendar

Hi David (Or is it Arthur?),

Sounds like you just wanted to configure it as a key system 

Why would you say that? In PBX mode you can still do trunk line monitoring and have the line keys ring without having to put the system in KTS mode, it is a feature that I have been using for over two years now so I am a little confused with your comment

With CCA 3.1 you have limitations on behaviors, I have found a lot of

partners that thru education can move customers to the new thinking

Whilst very true, there still remains a large community, probably even more so than not, that still require trunk line monitoring, with the ability for the line key to light up and the phone to ring and to also be able to seize that line and answer it by pressing that button. Many still do not like the park feature as it becomes far too complicated especially during training, and also this scenario is best suited for ISDN/PRI systems where you cannot seize a trunk line (Although you could do shared-dn assignment). The re-education process is vital, but the minute you start to diminish an end users capabilities with using the system, is the minute we failed in the sales cycle process, the Idea of presenting a Cisco Systems to the client is so they can see the streamlined benefits, 80% of the problems I spend my time resolving these days is because the wrong system/setup/solution was sold to the right client, forcing them to go down a path they shouldn't have gone down... We all need to be mindful of system limitations and what the client actually wants and needs and ensure the Cisco can meet their requirements.

Brent,

I need to clarify my statement from before, I had indeed setup trunk line monitoring via CLI and in that scenario it worked, I still have not done this with CCA and figured it would be quicker if I just did it the way I am used to doing it. I will try sometime today to use CCA to setup CO assignment on a button and see if I get the same results, I would be very...very...very surprised if it sets up trunk line monitoring but yet does not ring the phone, that would be just STUPID!!! and would make no sense what so ever, actually what would be the point even of setting that up then???.

If for some reason I cannot fit it in today I promise I will get to it, today is fairing up to be a putting out fires day

Cheers,

David.

Thanks David ... I appreciate you continuing to look at this!

The philosophical 'key vs PBX' argument aside, this is something that should just simply work.  And there are applications where line appearances still makes sense.

Let me know how your testing goes.  I'll open a ticket with TAC as well.

Thanks.

Brent

Hi David,

Thanks for your help on this - I'm happy to report the issue is fixed.

The "fix" didn't make a lot of sense however.

I started to work in CLI, as you said you replicated this in CLI and it worked for you.

In running-config, the original voice-port 0/1/0 configuration included line:

connection plar opx 3A11

3A11 was associated with an ephone-dn, and that ephone-dn was assigned to an ephone and a button on the set.

I was playing with this today, and changed the 3A11 to a 4-digit ephone-dn configured in exactly the same way.  And it worked.  I'm still a little puzzled as the original configuration "should" have worked (I don't think the alpha-numeric makes a difference), but it didn't ring the phone.  It's now ringing for incoming calls.  I noticed there was a couple of seconds delay between the time the button "lit" and the phone actually started to ring, so I added "immediate" ... ie:

connection plar opx immediate 2003

And everything is good now.  Again, thanks for your help on this.

Brent

Hi Brent,

Yes putting aside the KTS-V-PBX debate I am very pleased your problem is resolved, always good to see happy endings

Cheers,

David.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: