cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FXS not working after upgrade to 2.2.2

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

We have had 2 customers whose FXS ports do not get dial tone after the upgrade to 2.2.2.

We do have a STAC case open, but wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue.

At this point TAC is recommending we load a special firmware image to do FXS/O port testing, and RMA the system if it comes back as bad.

TAC claims to have not seen any other cases like this -- though it seems extremely unlikely that we had 2 FXS ports "fail" at the same time, during the same firmware upgrade -- a software bug seems a lot more likely.

For Cisco Employees: SR # 621650873

Thanks.

19 Replies 19

Jack Germanos
Level 1
Level 1

I have had this issue on 2.1.4 after upgrading to it the FXS port died no dial tone I sent it back and it was replaced.. Last week we had a client who was on 2.2.2 and upgraded to 2.3.X and lost the FXS after connecting SpA8800... did you also connect Spa8800 on that deployment?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

We did for the case in question -- though I don't know if that exactly coincided with the FXS port dieing.

However, since then, we have seen all sorts of flaky FXS port problems even without an 8800 involved.

In the 2.3.1(14) build under Status -> Support Tools -> 2 different loopback test options were added.

FXO/FXS and FXO/FXO.

Both tests options were added to help isolate hardware failures and call quality issues.

It would be intersting if the units with the possible defective fxs ports could have the FXO/FXS loopback test run to obtain the output.

Regards,

Randy

rob.lilley
Level 1
Level 1

We have also experienced this problem after upgrading to 2.2.2.

Config:

VOIP + 1 FXO only

As it seems that this issue may also exist in the latest version we have no alternative but to retrograde to the previous 2.1.x version.  The upgrade was originally undertaken to deal with the Flash incompatibility difficulty using the provided web upgrade tool.

Is there any sort of work-around?

Rob,

Can I work with you on the fxs issue after upgrading to firmware version 2.2.2?

This will help Cisco get to the root cause of the issue so the development team can resolve the issue.

please contact me at rbordner@cisco.com

Thank You.

Randy Bordner

Jack Germanos
Level 1
Level 1

I revisited one our clients who had the issue with FXS port "no dial tone after upgrade. I noticed the system uptime was 55 days not been re-booted since the firmware UG any after a full power cycle the FXS port was working not sue if this helps anyone..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Paul Williamson
Level 1
Level 1

Don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but it might be worth you taking a look. 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2170011 - I started having a problem with the FXS port after upgrading to the latest software.  Cisco are still looking into this to see if they can find a fix.

Do any of you have your FXS port in a hunt group?

Jack Germanos
Level 1
Level 1

Any update on how to resolve the FXS issue I have a customer that has experienced issue he replaced cordless unit but still no fix.

Hi Jack,

Is the FXS port enabled and assigned to a user in configure utility?  Have you run FXO/FXS loopback test which is at Status -> Support Tools? Was it successful?

Please also try to press the digit keys on the analog phone, do you hear DTMF in the handset? Which version is the firmware?

Best regards,

Wendy

Hi Wenjin

I have finally able to run the FXS top FXO loop back test for my client the results come back with some errors,

If you can assist with what this all means, I have FXO 2 connected to FXS of UC320W.  P

I have ongoing issues with the FXS port since the upgrade as well - static on the line makes it impossible to hear the caller effectively making phone calls impossible When using the SPA504G handset calls are perfect. So it is definately the port (have tried different phones in the FXS) Test results are similar.

Jack Germanos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have enabled the port and assigned to user and incoming group (6 members). I have not yet done a FXS/fxo loop test as yet I will try and do that today and revert the firmware that is currently installed is 2.3.1(6) previously 2.2.1

Hi Jack and Stephen,

Please test with multiple FXO ports. If it still fails, it means bad FXS port. You may RMA the box with your distributor.

Best regards,

Wendy

Hi Jack and Stephen,

You may need RMA the boxes through Cisco small business support center at the phone number listed in the following link. Please pick the appropriate phone number in your region.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Best regards,

Wendy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: