cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

G722 Wideband Codec

bill.roland
Level 1
Level 1

So the Cisco 7900 series phones advertise wideband audio a great feature, and I believe the SPA phones support it as well, but it seems the UC560 is defaulted to use G711ulaw.  Since we're connected to the PSTN via a PRI, I'm guessing it won't do much good to use G722, but I would like to use it on internal phone to phone calls and intercom calls.  Is that possible?  Would that require transcoding to access CUE?  Basically I want these phones to sound as good as they possibly can, and if this is a feature built into them, I'd like to use it if it doesn't require too much effort.  Thanks in advance.

Bill

8 Replies 8

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Currently on the roadmap.  Not supported in CCA today.  Will impact DSP resource

Engineering if you change with CLI.  Not sure what it will do to CCA.

In that case, my preference would be to wait for it to be available in CCA.  Would it be possible to know if this is a distant release or will it make an appearance soon?  Thanks Steven!

Bill

Hi Steve,

Currently on the roadmap.  Not supported in CCA today.  Will impact DSP resource

Engineering if you change with CLI.  Not sure what it will do to CCA.

Just so I am clear, we are supposed to tell the clients that the phones support it but we can not deliver on it right? Because I was under the impression that since it is supported it is a configurable item and also a supported item, to which the Sales guys use it as a differentiation to competing products and a benefit of choosing Cisco as their telephony product.... Have I just put myself and our sales guys in the firing line??

I am wondering if I am the only one that sees the irony in this

I will take your guidance on this, if you say do not sell this as a feature, then i will have a chat with the sales guys and ensure it is not promoted, I do not want to sell something that we simply cannot provide in its full capacity and with the full compliments of support as well, so please give me some direction on this

Cheers,

David.

[PS] BTW not busting your chops Steve, you just was the person who responded with the comment, I know you do not set these presedences as well, but you do have the capacity to pass on the illogical nature of the decisions made back to the appropriate people

Message was edited by: David Trad

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I think David said it best.  There definitely is some irony that you can't use a feature that is heavily promoted simply because its not in the GUI.  I hope this feature is a priority.

Bill

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you men point me to the feature description guide line item that says this is supported? I don't have one handy. I do realize G.722 is nice, and I made it work on my lab, and even had some issues addressed with phone behavior with Call Paging , but got tired of CCA Engineers pointing to it when I would have other issues

It sounded nice on the LAN for sure, but from a priority perspective, it there a carrier allowing that codec across it's network? It's slightly more than G.711 and I guess endpoints can negotiate CODEC in SDP package of INVITE, but is it supported?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

We connect our customers to our IP to IP gateway, which is connected to the ITSP. Our ITSP supports G.711 mu-law, G.711 A-law, and G.729, but not G.722 or iLBC.

We plan on supporting G.722, iLBC, and H.264 on our SIP proxies for calls between our customers in the future, in addition to G.711 mu-law, G.711 A-law, and G.729.

I really would like to be able to enable or disable codecs in CCA, instead of having to use CLI in order to enable or disable codecs. There are some cases where we really want G.729 enabled, but disable all of the other codecs for SIP trunk calls. On the other hand, we might want to enable G.711 mu-law and G.711 A-law, but disable G.729, G.722, and iLBC.

Hi Steven,

Can you men point me to the feature description guide line item that says this is supported?

That is a bit of a loaded question as the marketing material we could potential have could be outdated, given that we get that from either the disties or direct from Cisco through our AM's or direct from the Cisco Website.

For instance, on your site HERE  under the features section it states "High definition (HD) voice for unsurpassed voice clarity and enhanced speaker quality" and anyone qualified enough will know that it is no G.711 or G.729 and it would be kind of stupid to make that claim to a client.

Then you have the various marketing material that is provided by Disties and Cisco itself that make the same claim with some of them pointing to it being G.722 (Phone specific marketing material), so they are there and they exist and are often what are provided during the sales process and proposals.

Do you need scans and or more links bud?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Sorry for taking a while to reply, I've been out on vacation.  David summed it up pretty nicely (as usual).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: