Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

handset problems

I have 5  SPA 504g and am experiencing some frustrating problems with just one device.

Pressing the headset button, or speaker buttonl button will not properly end a call. For example if I answered the call using headset, I would normally push the headset button to end the call and the light would turn off. Now, the light turns off but I have to press the line key on the right side of the LCD to actually end the call.

Similarly, pressing the voicemail button would normally dial voicemail with speakerphone. Now it just dials voicemail and I have to manually press speaker phone or headset button.

Normally when you pickup the handset, you would hear a dial tone and be prompted for the number. But nothing happens when I lift my handset

If I dial out and liftthe handset, there is 2 way audio, but hanging up the handset does not end the call, again I have to press the line key on the right side of the LCD.

Hardware ver is 1.0.1 (0001)

Software version 7.5.5

I have factory reset the device and I still encounter these problems. This unit isn't even 2 years old.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The device lcd wakes up on its own and the lcd changes as if I'm about to dial a number, then it goes back to normal. But this happens many times in a row, and quite fast.

When i peek over at the syslog you can see the call state being changed at a ridiculous

PHN_setAudioPath(1)

[0]CC:NewCallState 0/6

For CallState values see Call states of SPA IP Phones and ATA devices (NewCallState syslog message). AudioPath(1) is handset (path 2 is headset, path 3 is loud speaker)

My conclusion is - broken "off hook" switch (that one that detects handset on/off hook state). E.g. hardware issue. Replace device by other one. Ask seller for replacenemt if under warranty.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Pressing the headset button, or speaker buttonl button will not properly end a call. For example if I answered the call using headset, I would normally push the headset button to end the call and the light would turn off. Now, the light turns off but I have to press the line key on the right side of the LCD to actually end the call.

Similarly, pressing the voicemail button would normally dial voicemail with speakerphone. Now it just dials voicemail and I have to manually press speaker phone or headset button.

Well, I have no headset nor I have configured voicemail, so I canpt test those scenarios by self. But ...

Normally when you pickup the handset, you would hear a dial tone and be prompted for the number. But nothing happens when I lift my handset

If I dial out and liftthe handset, there is 2 way audio, but hanging up the handset does not end the call, again I have to press the line key on the right side of the LCD.

... those scenarios require no special equipment. All I can say to you - it just works for me. On SPA504G with 7.5.5 firmware in SIP mode.

I have no 1.0.1 hardware revision device, but it don't expect it's hardware problem.

Catch SIP communication and debug & syslog.

Debug and syslog Messages from the SPA3xx, SPA5xxG, SPA9xx, & WIP310 IP Phones

Installing and Using Wireshark for Capturing Network Traffic

It may help you with further analysis.

Note that this reply assume you are running phone in SIP mode. If you are running in SPCP mode then phone behavior is driven by controller and this reply doesn't apply.

Well, the issues are mostly resolved magically without me doing anything.

But I am still getting these issues where my phone is practically having a seizure. The device lcd wakes up on its own and the lcd changes as if I'm about to dial a number, then it goes back to normal. But this happens many times in a row, and quite fast.

When i peek over at the syslog you can see the call state being changed at a ridiculous

[0]CC:NewCallState 6/0

Now, I do have several devices on the network and all using the same syslog, so I don't know how to tell which entry is for which device. But when I see the lcd spazzing out like I described, then the syslog console spewing out those 2 callstates, it looks pretty obvious what's going on.

I just now enabled the debugging, and it happened just once after doing so while writing this, but it didnt look much different than when debug was off.

The events below and above occured around 8:50-9:00AM PST.

[0]RegOK. NextReg in 119 (1)

[Phone]Exit Screen Saver Mode...

PHN_setAudioPath(1) 

PHN_setAudioPath(0)

===============

then a few seconds later

===============

CC:Clean Up

--- OBJ POOL STAT ---

OP:? =   4 (  8 1328)  

[0:5060]->myserver:5060{712)

[0:5060]->myserver:5060{712)

REGISTER sip:myserver:5060 SIP/2.0

===============

and lastely

===============

I received a phone call from a customer near the end of writing this. All of a sudden the call ended.This happened earlier and I thought the customer hung up earlier (before I was capturing) and when I tried calling back the lcd would say invalid number. I had to call the customer back from my cellphone.

Well, when it happened again this time. I was a little more suspicious about the invalid error. So I went to another desk and called the customer no problem (same model spa504).

When I can figure out how to properly anonymize my packet captures and fulll syslog I'll post them. Hopefully by the end of today.

The device lcd wakes up on its own and the lcd changes as if I'm about to dial a number, then it goes back to normal. But this happens many times in a row, and quite fast.

PHN_setAudioPath(1)

For CallState values see Call states of SPA IP Phones and ATA devices (NewCallState syslog message). AudioPath(1) is handset (path 2 is headset, path 3 is loud speaker)

My conclusion is - broken "off hook" switch (that one that detects handset on/off hook state). E.g. hardware issue. Replace device by other one. Ask seller for replacenemt if under warranty.

Definitely out of warranty as I'm approaching 2 year I think on this device. But it is kind of a strange problem. As 99% of the time I use the headset. I wonder if a janitor or cleaner ever knocked it off the desk that might have caused this malfunction.

I didn's dissassembled a SPA50xG phone yet, so I don't know the type of switch. It seems to be plausible that such kind of malfunction can be caused by fall or knocking it off the desk or so.

But there are other reasons possible as well. Some manufacturing defects may take time to develop into failure condition, for example. So you should fire no janitor nor cleaners for it ...

Of course not. Just thinking out loud. I may just replace it with a bluetooth headset and use a softphone instead.

So you may be interested to read somewhat ancient: Headset Compatibility for SPA303, SPA5xxG and SPA9xx Phones

I have no personal experience with headsets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: