Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with setting up SPA303 and/or 7960

eyeinkstudios
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I purchased two pre-owned phones to use with my VOIP service, and I'm not knowledgeable in the software/firmware for these products. I'm sorry for my newbie questions, however, i am thoroughly confused on what to do.

7960 - I did a factory reset by holding # and typing 123456789*0# and option 2, but it says "TFTP File not Found" - I tried running a TFTP server from my computer based on what some blogs said so I can upgrade the firmware to SIP but i've had zero luck in that department. I was thinking it needed to be converted to SIP, but I really have no idea, and the pressing the settings button won't do anything (so I cannot check the actual firmware that is installed) it just shows the "TFTP File not Found" message.

SPA303 - I need to factory reset the phone but I do not have the admin password.

Can someone tell me what I need to get these devices working? I'm in desperate need of a phone that will work so I can get my communications back up.

Thanks!

15 Replies 15

eyeinkstudios
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to reset/upgrade the firmware on both of these phones using the laptop TFTP method but I am pulling my hair out trying to get it to work.

This is how I have it set up:

Laptop ---> switch <--- Cisco 7960

Laptop is running TFTPD32, but I am confused by what settings to put on it so the phone properly reads my folder with the firmware on it. Anyone familiar?

Hello Ryan,

I cannot speak for the 7900 phone, but for the SPA303 phone, none of the small business phones have a password by default. If the phone has a password, you may try to factory reset the phone by using the menu button and resetting it. If this does not work, there is not much option but to return the phone from where it was purchased.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Do you know anything about setting up a TFTP/DHCP server to set up the phone's firmware?

Hi Ryan,

You can try to make an XML file and provision the phone by specifying the profile rule

as example;

192.168.25.104:69/cfg/generic.xml

You then can specify the DHCP option how to deliver it to the telephone. On the XML you can try to write a new admin/password.

Typically the admin/password setting on the phone UI is found on the system configuration of the system tab.

To write a valid XML for the SPA303, you can use the SPC compiler tool found at any of the phone download pages.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283104997&softwareid=282562500&release=7.5.2b&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I Downloaded the 7.4.8 SPC compiler tool (7.4.8 is the version of my locked SPA303). I am trying to generate a sample xml configuration file so I can have the phone sync up to it, and the SPC keeps asking me to connect to the phone. I thought I would be able to simply use the tool to generate an xml config file?

Please let me know

Hi Ryan,

You will need to run a packet capture to see what the phone is trying to pull from the TFTP server and then change the name of the XML to that of which the phone is requesting. In addition, your DHCP needs to support option 66. Once you know the name of the file the phone is trying to pull, you may modify your sample with no password.

Here is a helpful document;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9954

-Tom

I've been using wireshark to sniff out the request, but I don't see any request for files coming from the phone.... It only keeps requesting

sip.speakeasy.net

I've been using DHCP option 66 - not successful with this, but it appears the phone is communicating with the tftp based on my tftp log:

Rcvd DHCP Discover Msg for IP 0.0.0.0, Mac 30:E4:DB:81:67:32 [12/08 23:25:46.870]

Client requested address 192.168.1.2 [12/08 23:25:46.871]

DHCP: proposed address 192.168.1.2 [12/08 23:25:46.871]

Rcvd DHCP Rqst Msg for IP 0.0.0.0, Mac 30:E4:DB:81:67:32 [12/08 23:25:47.876]

Previously allocated address 192.168.1.2 acked [12/08 23:25:47.877]

Rcvd DHCP Rqst Msg for IP 0.0.0.0, Mac E0:CA:94:68:1C:D2 [12/08 23:28:19.097]

Ryan,

It looks like your phone hasn't been factory defaulted.  I would call the person that you bought them from and see if they know what the admin password is. 

For the 7960, try using DHCP option 150 and point it to your tftp server on a local LAN.  If you have the correct firmware/xml files in the TFTP folder the phone will grab them automatically.  Just make sure you have your Windows firewall turned off when you do this.

Brad,

I have been trying to setup a new xml file for the SPA303 so I can override the admin password and do a factory reset.

I don't have the password and I need to find a solution to hard reset this phone.

I have solved the issue I was having with the 7960 phone.

The SPC compiler will do this for you.  All you have to do is run it, and input the local IP address of the phone.  It "should" factory default it for you without having to create a sample file.  I've used it several times to unlock SPA5xx series phones.

Thanks

I've ran spa50x-30x-7-5-2b.exe and it ALWAYS asks for the phone's admin password after I type in the phone IP. There is a file called spa50x-30x-7-5-2b-recovery.exe and it allows me to type in the serial (vs IP address) for the phone, but then it says "device not found" if it's looking by serial number.

I understand there is a command line tool, but i didn't know if there were any commands to load an xml onto the phone:

C:\cisco303software\spa50x-30x-7-5-2-spc-win32-i386.exe (command would go here)

That's unfortunate.  The recovery tool usually works with the serial number.  Have you tried using the newer firmware version(7.5.2a)?

The phone will try to get it's firmware file by going to it's specified provisioniong server (looks like speakeasy).  I think I remember reading somewhere that they set their administrator username and password to 'admin.'  Have you tried that?

The cisco phones and ATAs are designed to allow providers to lock them with an admin password. They are designed not to be able to be unlocked.

If you purchased the phones to use with another ITSP, I would go back to your place of purchase and ask for another phone that is not locked.

alternately you could review the wireshark capture and verify which provider the phone is trying to connect to for provisioning, for example, sip.speakeasy.net.  Go to that provider and see if they will unlock the phone for you.

Most providers use certificates and encryption for provisioning, and it's difficult to spoof/workaround.

I don't believe the spc tool will allow you to push an unlocked config to the phone, it will allow you to create an unlocked config, but getting it on the phone is problematic.

Small business IP phone docs

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9922

IP phone provisioning guide

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9894

- Dan

Tom, this worked when I removed the "/cfg", set the transport method to "tftp" under the provisioning tab, and forced a resync - many thanks!!!

Profile rule: ipaddress:69/filename.xml

Type in web browser: ipaddress/admin/resync?ipaddress:69/generic.xml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: