cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can end users configure local directory and speed dials (UC540 W/ SPA50X)

madisontmajor
Level 1
Level 1

I am running a network of 16 users. Each user has either a SPA504G or a SPA 509G and are all connected to a UC540. Users would like to be able to add their own personal directory entries on their phone but we are not able to find a place to do this.

I actually have talked to 3 people in Cisco Small Business support and they were dumbfounded. The answer I got was "ask the forum".

So, what is the best way to allow users to add entries to the directory using a SPA504 / 509? Same question for their speed dial entries.

Thanks

Madison

9 Replies 9

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Madison,

I actually have talked to 3 people in Cisco Small Business support and  they were dumbfounded. The answer I got was "ask the forum". 

WTH??? Are you serious???

Ok getting over my initial shock, you can do this by click on the navigation key that looks like a peice of paper with the right hand side edge folded down.

Once your in the menu click on directory which is option two, and in there you will have 3 optiosn to choose from, choose the personal one from the option, this one allows them to enter in their own personal speed-dial numbers which is owned back that phone, the other options may have a global access distribution placed on it, so unless you want that to happen you need to choose the personal option.

If you need a pictorial on how to do this let me know and I will photo shop something up for you.

I still cant get over SBCS telling you to hit the forums, I know I have my own issues with things they do and say but this one has shocked me as it should be something they should have memorized as it is a basic functionality of the phones, and my problems I have taken to them are quite advanced.

Anyway I'll get over it in about 2 hours maybe

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David,

You think this would be correct, but the option to edit your personal speed dial / personal directory is not under this menu.

Once you press settings -> Directories, I have been through all these options and cannot find an add button.

The only place I have found to edit the personal speed dial is a sub sub menu of option 5 (Web applications). I do not have the phone in front of me tonight but it is several screens in, which is just too convoluted for our users.

The last Cisco SBCS rep I talked to said he couldn't believe it when he checked in his lab and agreed that he coulnd't add entries to the personal directory or personal speed dial list. He said he showed two level 2 SMEs and their jaws dropped that you could edit your personal directory / personal speed dials.

I am using:

- CCA 3.1(1)

- Software Pack 8.2.0

- CME 8.1

- Phone load 7.4.8a

- Phone template 16

Any help is appreciated!

CR*P you are dead right and so was SBCS....

I just checked my SPA-508G and SPA-504G and you cannot add, and this is exactly how I train the clients when I do the installs, at previous training sessions I am certain the ADD option was there, it certainly is on the SPA-525G2 sitting next to me... Ima little confused now as to what is happening.

I will take a look at some older installs that have not been upgraded yet (IOS or Phone Loads) and if they still have it then it must be part of an upgrade/update.

I eat my words now, there isn't even a way to do it via the phones web GUI...

The only other way I can think of right now is to use CCA to do it which is not ideal but it works and I just did a test on it.

It is interesting that you can do this when the phones have the SIP firmware loaded as I just did a test on this with a couple of SPA-508G phones plugged into the UC-320W.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I have a SPA-525G2 sitting next to me this morning. I am only able to find "Add" under the personal address book. I cannot find an ADD option under the directories / personal speed dial menu. To add to speed dial I have to go through "web applications".

David - Can you confirm that yours is the same?

Hi Madison,

You are indeed correct, this is the case and I had to log into the WEB GUI to do it as well...

However in saying that the SPA525G2 is the only one you can do that with... The other phones do not have this option and can only be done by editing the user in CCA and going into the spee-dial section and placing the speed-dials in there, but this will assign them to a button unless there are no buttons that are free.

Now that I have discovered this issue (Thank you for bringing this to my attention) I have to change the whole entire way I train staff up after the deployment is complete, this will also now increase the amount of manual work I have to do which I am now realizing I may want to avoid that as much as possible

Something is seriously off with this process, I even just checked my 7970 and I cant even add a personal speed-dial on it, and I am certain this was not the case as far back as June last year.

Cheers,

David.

On the spa504X phones, with the latest firmware:

1) press the settings button

2) CME services (#4)

3) My Phone Apps (#3)

4)   a.  Speed dial buttons - (abbreviated dial by pressing 1 key) is option 1

b.  Personal speed dial - (accessible by directory button) is option 2

5) Once you navigate to either a or b, you can add new entries and edit existing entries.

After your personal speed dials are entered, they can be accessed from the directory button on the phone.     Not intuitive, but it works.

Thanks Riprat...

Very useful info and will no doubt help me out when I am confronted with this issue.

Cheers,

David.

This has shown an interesting problem!  - I have a 525g2 w/ 500s Sidecar, and through CCA we cannot add any speed dials above (strangley 24) They'll "Overflow" correctly up to 24, and then they simply don't even register!

Any thoughts... anyone?  - For organization, I'm trying to have severl functions on buttons 32 - 29 (Night Mode, VM transfer etc..) - and speed dial is the only way to program this using CCA.

CCA 3.1(1)

Pack 8.2.0

Phone Load: 7.4.8 (Even though I added 7.4.9a - for some reason it won't push it down.)

Thanks in advance!

J

oclaner_it
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

I tried to do the same, configuring speed dial. The entry is there, but I can't dial, as in it's not working at all.

Will upgrading the firmware help?

I also tried going to the web (with the phone's IP address) to configure, but I can't, there's no editable box.

Phone model: SPA508G

Firmware: 7.4.2

Communicator: UC560

Appreciate if anyone replies!!!