cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I connect SPA9000 to an intercom/paging system?

saluce659
Level 1
Level 1

My company is about to upgrade to an SPA9000/SPA400 system using SPA942 phones all around the manufacturing shop offices.  However, I need to have the ability to make announcements throughout the shop.  How would I go about doing this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Saluce659,

I am not sure how many phones you have on your SPA9000 system, but  think about the following.

The SPA9000 can register up to 16 IP hosts or in other wods 16 individual IP phones. As you must be aware, as you have the  SPA9000 system,  each of those phones can have multiple extensions.  But the limitation as stated again  is 16 IP hosts registered on the SPA9000.

Each of the  Valcom VIP-130L that you add will take up one of those SIP registrants positions.  Also the specs on that POE powered device indicate that it may not be very loud  -10dBm, but double check if -10dBm is sufficient for your needs.

Maybe consider another valcom device that I have worked with before  the Valcom 9970. This device plugs into FXS ports.

Dead easy to set up, but needs to run into amplified speakers.

The advantage of running into amplified speakers is that you can crank up  or down the volume level of amplified speakers to suit the location.  Also if you look at the valcom 9970 installation manual, multiple amplified speakers can be connected toa single  Valcom 9970.

Why not take advantage of the two FXS ports built into the back of the  SPA9000. Two Valcom 9970 could plug into  the back of the SPA9000.

To activate the Overhead pager all you have to do is ring the extension of the  FXS port,  dead easy.

Or you may if you  wish add a Cisco SPA8000 to the PBX, the spa8000 has eight FXS ports ,but appears to the SPA9000 as a single IP host with eight extensions. :-)

The advantage of using the SPA8000 in conjunction with the Valcom 9970 is that you now have the option if you want  to of connecting ten Valcom 9970's  to the SPA9000 phone system.

Dave

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Check out the following URL which is a Video on demand on overhead paging.

It details some of the solutions you could use for overhead paging on both the SPA9000 and the UC500.

Both can utilise multicast or FXS ports to overhead paging purposes.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-10460

select the VOD entitled  "FXS SPA8000 and overhead page Systems"

regards Dave

saluce659
Level 1
Level 1

From my own research, it looks like I can do it with by adding several of Valcom's SIP paging horns (VIP-130L) connected to my existing Ethernet.

From my understanding, these horns will register to the SPA9000 as SIP phones, correct?  So, if I set up an extension to page multiple phones and set each of the paging horns in that page group, then dialing the extension for the page should announce to each of the horns, right?

Hi Saluce659,

I am not sure how many phones you have on your SPA9000 system, but  think about the following.

The SPA9000 can register up to 16 IP hosts or in other wods 16 individual IP phones. As you must be aware, as you have the  SPA9000 system,  each of those phones can have multiple extensions.  But the limitation as stated again  is 16 IP hosts registered on the SPA9000.

Each of the  Valcom VIP-130L that you add will take up one of those SIP registrants positions.  Also the specs on that POE powered device indicate that it may not be very loud  -10dBm, but double check if -10dBm is sufficient for your needs.

Maybe consider another valcom device that I have worked with before  the Valcom 9970. This device plugs into FXS ports.

Dead easy to set up, but needs to run into amplified speakers.

The advantage of running into amplified speakers is that you can crank up  or down the volume level of amplified speakers to suit the location.  Also if you look at the valcom 9970 installation manual, multiple amplified speakers can be connected toa single  Valcom 9970.

Why not take advantage of the two FXS ports built into the back of the  SPA9000. Two Valcom 9970 could plug into  the back of the SPA9000.

To activate the Overhead pager all you have to do is ring the extension of the  FXS port,  dead easy.

Or you may if you  wish add a Cisco SPA8000 to the PBX, the spa8000 has eight FXS ports ,but appears to the SPA9000 as a single IP host with eight extensions. :-)

The advantage of using the SPA8000 in conjunction with the Valcom 9970 is that you now have the option if you want  to of connecting ten Valcom 9970's  to the SPA9000 phone system.

Dave

Thanks, this is EXACTLY what I need.  We already have a paging system, so this would actually allow me to use the already-in-place paging system with the new system.  Even the functionality would be the same, so I wouldn't have to train employees on how to make pages.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: