cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How is group paging implemented in BE3000?

justrami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can a page be sent to all the idle phones at a site?  Ideally, the customer would like to use phones to broadcast a page throughout a facility. What are the options on a BE3K?

*Partner Question*

16 Replies 16

justrami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is supported using multicast in the CUAC-CE attendant console and this solution is being validated in the upcoming 8.6.4 release. You will need 1 additional enhanced license for each user looking to utilize the attendant console software. One alternative is to use overhead paging with 3rd party analog paging hardware connected via FXS interface on a SPA 8800.

We had a CUBE router with an FXS card which worked well.  We set up a dial-peer on the router that could be speed-dialed with a "paging" number on the attendant's phone and would call with auto-answer to the paging interface.

Jim

Hi,

Is anyone able to answer the initial question with a yes or no?

Can you page idle handsets like you can with every other phone system on the market (or like you can with the UC500 series) This is a very basic and widely used function!

By "idle" do you mean, the phone is assigned to a user but is currently not active on a call.

As  long as a phone is assigned to a user or department and is registered with BE3K, it  can be target of a page. The phone should also support XML.

Thanks

We just recieved our BE3k and the only way I seem to be able to make a page is by using Cisco Unified Attendent Compact Edition - what am I doing wrong? This takes quite a few mouse clicks one per user you want to page (or you make a group but that take up a lot of screen space - the group has to be expanded to select page) and then you have press and hold a button down on the phone while you talk? It's REALLY clunky..

Currently unicast or multicast paging is supported using compact edition of attendant console. So if you have that working, you are not missing anything. I agree with you that it is not as simple as picking up the phone, press a page button or softkey, and page.

In the upcoming release, we are planning to add paging from phones.

Thanks

Do you know the time frame of when this new release will happen?

We are looking at a  tentative release sometimes in 2nd half of CY 2013.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply.  Aside from paging from the phones. Do you know if all phones will be supported to make and receive pages? Also, does this mean that you will not need to have attendant console licenses to make these pages as well?

Thanks.

In addition to my last reply, the phone i'm particularly asking about is the 3905.  We've bought a bunch of them for cost savings for those who don't need multiple lines. The only other thing that would be needed would be paginig capability.

Thanks.

Just to clarify NONE of the phones can initiate a page without the attendant software running on a PC. Really the BE3k is not a system for a company that needs paging.

Sorry, meant to hit your reply not mine. According to Sanjay, it's suppose to be added second half of this year. 

Yes, i'm aware of that. I do have it working using the attendent console. I'm replying to what Sanjay stated that in the upcoming release, the are planning to add paging from phones.

Sanjay Sinha

Employee points

Sanjay Sinha

131 posts since
May 27, 2011

Currently unicast or multicast paging is supported using compact edition of attendant console. So if you have that working, you are not missing anything. I agree with you that it is not as simple as picking up the phone, press a page button or softkey, and page.

In the upcoming release, we are planning to add paging from phones.

Trying to revisit this discussion.  Since we are just about entering the 2nd half of 2013, how close is Cisco to release the new software that will allow paging from phones?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: