Views
Helpful
Replies

How to limit individual voicemail message length to 1, 2, or 3 minutes

jeandemo39
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My goal is to limit individual voicemail message length to 1, 2, or 3 minutes maximum.  For some reason, whenever an incoming call goes to voicemail, and the person hangs up, the call is not being disconnected.  That said, I looked at the post at:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16469#Line_Wont_Disconnect

... I realized that I am getting the "long" 10 minute oicemail messages with silence in it

... Also, when I run the FXO Impedance Matching test, the co-termination part of the test returns as "unknown".

... Have not tried to call the Provider as yet, but I suspect that this may not yield anything of real value, but I am going to try this ASAP.

... Anyway, I requested to find out if a Personal Modification File (PMF) can be created for this issue to be used as an effective workaround to the situation.  But I am really hoping that someone may be able to help me on this issue.  Looking forward to positive feedback.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

9 Replies 9

wenyang
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

What is the service provider? Please send your UC320W feedback to me, you can do so at Configuration Utility -> Services -> Feedback, please specify attention wenyang@cisco.com in Issues or Suggestions section.

Best regards,

Wendy

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.  I submitted a response via the method you suggested but I must admit that I completely forgot to include your contact email in the post, I hope you would be able to find the post.  That said, I installed the unit down in Trinidad, West Indies in the Caribbean.  The provider is the Telecommunications Services of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (TSTT).  Please let me know if you need further information.  Thanks again.

Hi Jean,

Usually this means we are missing the CPC disconnect tone from the FXO service provider.  In some cases the provider needed to increase the CPC disconnect tone duration.  In other regions/countries/providers, they might use a different CPC disconnect tone than the UC320W is expecting.

In any case since you are getting an unknown value from the FXO Impedence matching, you should open a case with the Cisco Small Business Support Center where they can take a closer look at your box.  They may also perform an audio capture of a call going to voicemail so we can see what the CPC disconnect tone characteristics are.  Please let Wendy (above) know your case number.

Also, this is the Friday before holidays and most of Cisco staff is off until the 2nd of January...

Chris

Christopher,

Thanks for the feedback.  As per your comment, I did open a case with Cisco Small Business Support Center and I got a Case ID.  In fact, I also submitted a case to the Certification and Communities on-line support team as well.

That said, here is the result from the FXO Matching Test:

Impedance: 370+820||110nF

Co-Termination: Unknown

Line Type: EIA 0

I must admit that I really do not know what the FXO Disconnect Tone is for the FXO Provider.

I hope this provides some assistance.

Thanks again.

As a follow-up to my most recent post, I have been able to record the disconnect tone.  Unfortunately, I am unable to attach the file here.  That said, I have also done some initial analysis using Sigview Signal Analysis Software and I have been able to determine the following general characteristics of the tone:

Frequency: 1355 Hz

Tone Length: 0.10 Sec

Silence Length: 0.075 Sec

I want to be able to apply these characterics to the UC320 for the disconnect tone, can anybody help me with this?  Please advise.  Thanks.  Sincerely,

Further Information on the Disconnect Sequence:

When the person hangs up the phone, the IP PBX hears the following from the CO:

1) A short period of silence (Around three seconds)

2) A very short tone that is similiar to when you are calling someone (Around .5 Second)

3) A voice message that says: Please hang up and try your call again, if you need assistance, dial your operator, Please hang up now.  This is a recording.

* This repeats 3 times

4) The following Off Hook Tone is heard consistently thereafter:

* http://www.soundjay.com/phone/sounds/phone-off-hook-1.mp3

I am really hoping that someone will be able to help me on this.

Thanks.  Sincerely,

Hi Jean,

According to your analysis, the disconnect tone seems to be 1355@-30;4(0.1/0.075/1). We have a PMF in which you can manually input the disconnect tone for the system to recognize. I am sending the PMF to you at

jeandemo39@hotmail.com. Please aply the PMF and input the disconnect tone. Please make sure you apply configure after applying the PMF.

Best regards,

Wendy

Wendy,

Thanks for your feedback.  I tried to implement the manual disconnect PMF using a variety of different disconnect tone sequences and I have not been successful with any of them.  I will forward to you via email, an actual recording of the disconnect sequence, I am hoping that you would be able to assit me in getting it analyzed.  I must admit, however, that the signal is almost identical to that of the North America Off Hook Tone that is found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-hook_tone

Please advise.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hi Jean,

I have received your email with the disconnect tone. As you mentioned it was captured through voicemail. I can hear the short ringback tone and the operator's voice asking the user to hang up the call. It indicates that the

telco is configured that if a line doesn't disconnect, after one of the parties has and a timeout is reached. it sends the call to the operator which is what you have captured in the voice mail.I don't think that is the disconnect tone.

In fact we need to have an audio capture by using the audio capture tool. Please ask the support engineer who is working on your case to do audio capture of the disconnect tone and then analyze it.

Best regards,

Wendy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: