cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Swap out phones?

jms
Level 1
Level 1

I have a user damaged phone that I need to replace. Is there a way for me to set up the new one and move his extension and voice mails over?

4 Replies 4

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

East way I've found:

1. Unplug the old phone

2. Log into the CLI

3. Locate the ephone for the old phone

4. Reset the old ephone, change the mac to the new one, and regenerate the config:

conf t

ephone <#>

reset

no mac-address

mac-address

ephone-template 16

end

5. Plug in the new phone

This allows you to transfer everything from the old phone to the new one and is very quick.

-Dan

Please rate useful posts.

What about in the cicso coffiguration assistant... is it possible there?

Not really. You can of course delete the old then configure the new... but that kills voicemail.

MAC addresses are not editable in CCA.

Maybe you can convert the extension to a share, add the new phone, delete the old, then change it back to normal? Not sure if that works. Try to do this in CCA is too annoying, so I don't bother.

-Dan

Please rate useful posts.

econsystems
Level 1
Level 1

I have changed the phone type several times via CCA.  Works great.  The only issue is changing a 7900 phone with a different series.  7900 phones support octo lines.  As long as the line is dual, you can change to anything.  If changing from 7900 to another type, you will have to change the octo line to dual and then change the phone.

The steps are below:

1.     Disconnect the phone from the network which needs chancing.

2.     Wait about 5 minutes.  The phone needs to unregister.

3.     Go into CCA and login.  To verify that the phone is unregistered, goto MONITOR, TELEPHONY and click on Phones and Extensions.

4.     Find the phone which needs replacing.  The phone status should say UNREGISTERED or DECEASED.

5.     If it does, then you can CONFIGURE, TELEPHONY, USERS/EXTENSION and you will be able to change the mac address and the phone type.

6.     Once done, you can save the settings and you are done.

Plug in the new phone and you will be good to go.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: