Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade via the CLI

phawara
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I've found several document on how to upgrade the UC500 but nothing is really complete. I need to upgrade a UC520 to 7.1.1EA and I'd like to do it using the CLI and not CCA.

I also have an additional language installed. All files have been downloaded -- could someone please provide detailed steps?

Thanks in advance!

11 Replies 11

Hi,

The manual upgrade process is complicated and error-prone. Why not use CCA to avoid complications?

If you were to do this manually, you would have to:

1) Download the UC500 bundle zip.

2) Extract IOS, CUE and phone loads.

3) Replicate the new directory structure on the UC500 flash.

4) Upgrade the IOS image.

5) Upgrade the CUE image.

6) Upload the phone loads and update the configuration ("tftp-server" commands and "load" commands under "telephony-service")

Again, CCA will get you around these complications.

Thanks,

Marcos

I actually did try using CCA but received a warning that my AA script/prompts will get deleted seeing I have two languages installed.

Would you mind elaborating on the above mentioned steps? ie: with commands ;)

After careful review, we have decided not to post the CLI upgrade procedure. It is extremely involved and we do not want to promote a process that could lead to more support calls. CCA will remain the only official way in which you can upgrade your SBCS solution.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Marcos

Patrick,

If you are comfortable with the CLI, you can take a look at the upgrades done on Call Manager Express and CUE on the guides on the cisco.com pages, these upgrades are basically the same as on the UC520. But I can´t see why you would do this with CLI when CCA can do the job!?!

Just back up your scripts and setup before the upgrade in CCA, you should do this even if you upgrade through CLI.

Regards

Eivind

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I like knowing what the CCA is doing in the background. This way if the CCA fails, I'm fully capable doing the upgrade via the CLI.

I ended up using the CCA for the IOS/ME and doing the CUE myself via the CLI.

Here is what I used for reference:

CME  Administrator Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/gui d e/cmeadm.html

CUE  Install and Upgrade Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel7_0/install/Inst all.html

Upgrade  IOS using TFTP

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/prod_release _ note09186a00800810f3.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_ n ote09186a00801fc986.shtml

Patrick,

This was what marcos was trying to avoid, LOL. Do not post these procedures on the forum, hehe

/Eivind

Do you not agree users should have the resources available to them, and decide for themselves if it's beyond their capacity? There's nothing more frustrating than searching for documentation/resources when you're trying to get something done.

Although I do agree with using the Cisco team, using CCA makes it VERY easy to upgrade the UC500 system. ;)

Eivind Jonassen
Level 4
Level 4

hehe, of course. It was just a bit funny (in my head anyways), when marcos stated that he (cisco) didn´t want to post, and then you did. ;)

Well, you guys are welcome to post whatever you think is useful. We actually encourage that. I was just wearing my Cisco hat and sharing what we can and cannot do. I hope you understand.

Thanks,

Marcos

Hi There,

marchern wrote:

Well, you guys are welcome to post whatever you think is useful. We actually encourage that. I was just wearing my Cisco hat and sharing what we can and cannot do. I hope you understand.

Thanks,

Marcos

Is this not the good old fashion Cisco at play here :)

Let me see, LET the End User do what they want, we provide you the noose its just up too you if you want to hang yourself with it or not :) :) :)

I dont mind this theory, it almost has an openess to it, kind of like Open Source, hey do what you want but just dont come knocking on my door when you break something LOL

It is for this reason i like Cisco, other systems outside of * are somewhat too closed to work with, all this protection and hoooooohaaaaa about making sure the engineers are protected from doing something silly, MEH! they dont realise we learn from breaking things and having to get out of the thick of it.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: