cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intercom and a UC500

Robert Prideaux
Level 1
Level 1

Client has asked if the UC540 will provide an "intercom" at the front door of his home/office.

Now, initially, I thought "No" - it is a PBX, not a doorbell...

Easy out is to use an IP Camera with Mic/Spkrs. (He has ordered 525G's, so video monitoring on the handset is a given.)

However, it is a basic function in the SPA phones as such; you can easily define a 'spare' line button as an "Intercom" - rather than a PSTN line or whatever when configuring the extension/user details.

Does anyone had any clues as to a "phone enabled intercom" widget?  (Hello Mr Trad...)

As an example, a SPA301 would be functional, but it is hardly an "outdoors" rated item.

I imagine there are a few things in the US that may do the trick, but problem is, need to have one in Oz...

5 Replies 5

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Robert,

Speak to Alloy in Melbourne, they can sell you either an FXS based Door Station or a SIP based one, for ease of use and configuration you will want the FXS based one, you can program it so when someone presses the button it calls and extension or a blast group.

However, these types of door stations do not have triggers for lock release they are meant only for intercoms/speaker phone use, so if this is a requirement then you need to use something else.

If you want to go real budget, then you put a 301 out there but you problem is powering it up, they are not a PoE phone and require a PoE adapter to work, you would then need to build a housing for it to protect it as much as possible from the weather... Is it worth it? Not in my opinion, too much effort and trouble for my likings.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I had a sneaking suspicion:

1. You would answer

2. AND

3. Would have a good idea! J

Thanks

Rob

PS: just a door intercom and not a door lock, so that’s good!

Regards,

Robert Prideaux

Director

Ailean OnLine

I most likely wont be on these forums come 3 weeks time, going on another career maneuver to a competitor of sorts would you believe

Will see if the grass is greener on the other side, plus it is something other than engineering which to be honest I am totally over it right now, going to get into Proctoring and Consulting which should be fun

But alas if you get stuck you got my personal mobile number anyway, you can call and If i can will try to help you out.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Aaaack!

What am I going to do without my Guru???

Regards,

Robert Prideaux

Director

Ailean OnLine

It is going to be a day or so; had a server go belly up on me a few hours ago – and it is going to be a long day tomorrow…

Regards,

Robert Prideaux

Director

Ailean OnLine

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: