cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intercom assistance

Bill.Lopez
Level 1
Level 1

I need to configure an intercom solution that lets any phone press an intercom button and then the extension. The result is the target extension answers un-muted on speaker phone. If this is possible is it possible to create a soft key rather than burn a button? There are many configs out there but most look inefficient and cumbersome. This is a basic fuction of any PBX and should be one that Cisco devises a quick solution for in my opinion. Any help is appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Skyler Spence
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bill,

Try this configuration out, I tested it and it works on my system just fine.  It will setup the intercom system to where if you want to intercom to a user whose main extension is 2xx you dial 4xx (or any other string, just seems easy to remember)

Say you have ephone 5 whose current button 1 uses ephone-dn 13 with a number of 201 as your current setup.  To add the intercom do this:

ephone-dn  40
number 401 no-reg primary
label intercomx201
intercom 201 no-mute label "Inter"

ephone  5

button  1o13,40

Now whenever anyone dials 401, the user at this phone goes off hook on speakerphone with the mute off, and you haven't lost any buttons.

Let me know if this works for your situation or if it needs tweaking.

View solution in original post

To add to this, you could make the intercom range slightly longer.  You could make it 4201.  It might be easier for users to think of adding a 4 instead of replacing a digit (or whatever digit you would like them to dial for this).

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Skyler Spence
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bill,

Try this configuration out, I tested it and it works on my system just fine.  It will setup the intercom system to where if you want to intercom to a user whose main extension is 2xx you dial 4xx (or any other string, just seems easy to remember)

Say you have ephone 5 whose current button 1 uses ephone-dn 13 with a number of 201 as your current setup.  To add the intercom do this:

ephone-dn  40
number 401 no-reg primary
label intercomx201
intercom 201 no-mute label "Inter"

ephone  5

button  1o13,40

Now whenever anyone dials 401, the user at this phone goes off hook on speakerphone with the mute off, and you haven't lost any buttons.

Let me know if this works for your situation or if it needs tweaking.

To add to this, you could make the intercom range slightly longer.  You could make it 4201.  It might be easier for users to think of adding a 4 instead of replacing a digit (or whatever digit you would like them to dial for this).

I have a similar design challenge as this original post.

I am familiar enough with intercom extensions, but am looking for a way that the user's can hit a softkey or FAC that adds the lead digit of the intercom extension for them.  I don't even know if this is possible...

Example:  User ext is 107. User intercom ext is 3107. I have a sidecar with each user's real extension programmed as watch mode.

Can I program a line key, a softkey, or create a FAC of some sort that allows me to simply press one or two things for "intercom" which adds the leading digit 3, then press the user's pre-programmed button on my side car?  Thus giving me the choice to call them regularly, transfer calls, etc with a few pushed of buttons...and then have the option to intercom them at will without knowing their extension?

I tried pressing 3, then the button and it calls the extension like normal, ignoring the lead 3 i had pressed on the dial pad.

If not, I suppose I could simply maker each user's button label show their ext "Stacy x107"  so then reception can dial 3107.

They are really old school , so I was trying to avoid this and make the new phones "feel" like their old ones.

Stacy

Been awhile since I did this, but I believe you can make a speed dial with the number being 3, then type the rest of the digits.

I am trying to make use of the programmed side car buttons and avoid typing the extension.

so 3 + button

or something along those lines.

ah well, they will have to live with hitting 4 keystrokes instead of 2.

I see what you are saying.  I don't think that is possible. 

Bill.Lopez
Level 1
Level 1

Steven and Skylar..thanks for your help your combined efforts solved my problem. Brilliant!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: