cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

International Calls - "011" being stripped

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

We recently had two customers report that they are unable to make international calls.

Upon further investigation we found that our SIP provider (same for both clients) was responding to the INVITE with "SIP/2.0 484 Address Incomplete".

The reason seems likely to be that the UC320 is apparently stripping "011" from the dialed number.

"INVITE sip:+3315367xxxx@px3.nexvortex.com SIP/2.0" (Last 4 digits removed)

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Is this expected behavior?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Daniel,

The prefix '+1' option is a toggle for telephone numbering formats.  Some providers expect the address to appear as if you were physically in that country.  In this case you would UNCHECK the prefix +1, so that the number sent to the SIP provider is 011 + CC +ADDRESS, assuming the end user dialed the steering digit (9) 011  CC  Address.

However, other providers like Skype don't know or want to deal with each countries mechanism to dial an international address.  In this scenario ALL addresses sent out the SIP trunk will be in the format: + CC Address.  This even applies to domestic long distance so you would see +12125551212  to reach New York Directory assistance (212) 555-1212.  From the UC320W perspective if the end user dials an address say 011 44 xxxxxxx to reach someplace in the UK, this option will send to the SIP provider +44 xxxxxxxx.

Hopefully this helps clarify.  Make sure you have +1 unchecked.  Apply the configuration.  Go to Status -> Support Tools -> Log, enable logs and check the box next to your SIP provider and then try to make an international call.  After the call is complete, look for the INVITE and look at the TO:  field.

As for the Region Packs this is a tool we can use to update dial plans, tones, audio announcements etc, without requiring a whole firmware release.  Yes, even the US may see updates.  We have just released one for the US and several for Canada last week that make an adjustment to separate toll free numbers from Long Distance numbers for the Class of Restriction feature.

Chris

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Mr. Placek,

Good morning, my name is Michael and I am a Cisco Small Business Support Engineer.  I went to test this function in my lab and the 011 was not stripped in my test call. 

I do have a few questions:

First, are you on software version 2.2.2(1)?

Second, if yes on the first question do  you have any dialing restrictions to any of the users on the network? 

Third, what was the digit sequence used when dialing?  Did you need a prefix 9 before the 011?

Fourth, were you ever able to make international calls?

Fifth, you may want to try to delete your SIP trunk and then reconfigure the SIP trunk in the case that something was written wrong when you first attempted the configuration.

Lastly, you may want to call into Cisco Small Business Support so that we may get a better look at the UC320W.

Thank you,

Michael D.

1. Yes we are on the latest firmware.

2. No, the phones being dialed from have full permissions.

3. Yes, 9 was dialed first.

4. Not as far as I know.

Hi Daniel,

What format is the SIP service provider expecting for an international address?  011 followed by country code and address or   + followed by country code and address?   If they are not expecting the + CC ADDR, then make sure you do not have +1 (or your local country code) checked on the SIP/BRI for the provider configuration.

You might make sure you have the latest region pack installed also:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-18495

Hope this helps.

Chris

I spoke to the provider, their system expects "011" prefixed with no "+". (Though they thought it might accept the "+" anyway)

So currently it is dialing:

+3315367xxxx

They are expecting:

0113315367xxxx

So I imagine that turning off the prefix "+1" option would fix the "+" issue, but any insight into the lack of "011".

Also, what would I need with the localization packs? This is a US based system... It's my understanding that those are only if you want to install the system in another locale -- not call other locales.

Thanks.

Hi Daniel,

The prefix '+1' option is a toggle for telephone numbering formats.  Some providers expect the address to appear as if you were physically in that country.  In this case you would UNCHECK the prefix +1, so that the number sent to the SIP provider is 011 + CC +ADDRESS, assuming the end user dialed the steering digit (9) 011  CC  Address.

However, other providers like Skype don't know or want to deal with each countries mechanism to dial an international address.  In this scenario ALL addresses sent out the SIP trunk will be in the format: + CC Address.  This even applies to domestic long distance so you would see +12125551212  to reach New York Directory assistance (212) 555-1212.  From the UC320W perspective if the end user dials an address say 011 44 xxxxxxx to reach someplace in the UK, this option will send to the SIP provider +44 xxxxxxxx.

Hopefully this helps clarify.  Make sure you have +1 unchecked.  Apply the configuration.  Go to Status -> Support Tools -> Log, enable logs and check the box next to your SIP provider and then try to make an international call.  After the call is complete, look for the INVITE and look at the TO:  field.

As for the Region Packs this is a tool we can use to update dial plans, tones, audio announcements etc, without requiring a whole firmware release.  Yes, even the US may see updates.  We have just released one for the US and several for Canada last week that make an adjustment to separate toll free numbers from Long Distance numbers for the Class of Restriction feature.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that did it! I appreciate the speedy responses!

Mr. Placek,

I will have to direct you to call into 866-606-1866 for Cisco Small Business Support so we can get hands on with the unit. At this time other than seeing the + being added you should be able to make calls, but will need to look at the UC320Ws configuration and maybe get the provider involved.

Thank you,

Michael D.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: