cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator 8.6 Hangs on Registering After First Use

jeffrey.reese
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded a Windows 7 Enterprise x86 machine from IP Communicator 7.x to 8.6.  The upgrade appears to have resolved some issues with our headset but has introduced a whole new problem.

The phone will hang on "Registering" when starting up.  My workaround is to close the phone, delete the HKCU\Software\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator registry key, then open the phone.  After completing the audio tuning wizard the phone will start and register successfully.

If I need to stop the phone for any reason I will need to delete the registry before starting it again.  In other words, the phone cannot be opened more than once without deleting the registry key specified above.  I was able to reproduce the problem using a clean install on another Windows 7 Enterprise x86 machine when asked to do so by Cisco Small Business Support.  My case # is 617-691-283 but I'm not expecting to hear back from anybody until Thursday.

I have a UC520-24U-8FXO-K9 running software pack 8.0.4, CME version 8.0.  I have a UC540 in another environment that is 100% soft phones that I think would benefit from an upgrade but I can't pull the trigger until I figure out what the problem is in my own environment.

Has anybody ever seen anything like this?

5 Replies 5

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jeffrey,

Has anybody ever seen anything like this?

I didn't even know 8.6 was out

Now that I have read your post I am excited about testing it out and seeing how it performs

So you are running it on an X86 Windows 7 environment, so I will test it then on Vista and XP and see how it goes, then test it in Wine on Linux and see if it works with that

I have a Windows 7 enterprise and will check it on that as well, it should produce the same problem as yours as the OS is fundamentally the same.

WoooooHooooo a new version = a new toy to play with \o/

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I've reproduced the problem on Windows 7 Enterprise (x86) and Windows XP Professional / SP3 (x86).  Deleting the registry key I referenced is the workaround in both cases.  I've been told by Cisco Small Business Support that I'm not the first one with this problem and they're getting their lab set up to reproduce the problem.

Let us know how it works out for you.  I'll post updates as they come in.

asavener
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the info.

I had the "hang on registering" issue as well, but it started on my previous version of IP Communicator (7 something).  I upgraded to 8.6.1 with the hope of solving the issue, but it persisted.

After deleting the registry key you referenced, I'm able to close and open IP Communicator successfully.

(Windows 7 enterprise 64-bit)

RAY SAVAGE
Level 1
Level 1

this was still a problem for me after all this time. I didnt want to delete the entire Communicator key each time because of the Audio tuning wiz being run every time. As a temporary workaround I created a .reg file that deletes the DEVICE subkey only and that works. There are two prompts from the reg delete but thats a few seconds on each start.

This works until I find a better solution.

The reg delete file looks like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cisco Systems, Inc.\Communicator\Device]

this is a big clue and I hope someone can use it to find a better solution.

Gerry O'Rourke
Spotlight
Spotlight

I also had this issue (on Windows 10) with CIMC 8.6

Starting IP Communicator with "Run as an administrator" corrected the issue and is an easier workaround than deleting registry keys.

Gerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: