cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Language dictionary download

simaulinksys
Level 1
Level 1

I have a big problem about language dictionary and its download from network. I have to install several SPA504G in a bank with a SIP PABX. The bank doesn't give me access to the internet and to any PC in the LAN for security reason. What I can I do with italian language? It's possible to manage to have the phone downloading italian dictionary only one time?

6 Replies 6

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Roberto;

You should be able to do it offline, i.e. download the dictionaries at your office (if you have not shipped the phones yet). if they download only one time, it should work if first download happens ok, but please note that if phone is factory reset, this is lost.

I would suggest you try it yourself.

Regards
Alberto

Hi Alberto,

I have already tried to do this way but I have seen that:

1) If I leave the dictionary server script configured, sometimes, not always, the phone try to download the dictionary again when reboot.

2) If I delete the server script leaving italian as language preferred,and reboot, the phone start again in English.

Probably I have done some mistake but i don't know what. Can you suggest me the correct procedure?

Thank a lot for your help,

regards,

Roberto.

Hi Roberto;

Yes, what you mention is the intended behavior, however in (1) when phone tries to download the dictionary and it is not available, it will use the latest one successfully downloaded.

I suggest you try this...

(1) Install the dictionary properly

(2) Make the phone(s) to successfully download the dictionary

(3) Remove the dictionary file from the tftp/http server

(4) Reboot the phones...they should operate normally.

Note, please dont delete/modify the script, if you do so, then phones will fallback to english.

Regards
Alberto

Hi Alberto,

I can describe you another simililar situation that more probably is clearer.

We have a customer with some SPA942 configured to work in italian and all the phone have the server script correctly configured. I never delete it but when there is a power failure PABX phones and adsl router switch off, obviously. When the power return the phones try to download dictionary but router ADSL isn' t yet connected to internet so telephones return to english language. N.B.The server with dictonaries is in our web site.

When router is successfully connected to internet it's sufficient to reset the phones to have them again in italian.

It's possible that it is because of every time the phone reboot I provision the phone sending to it the same server script that was already configured on the phone?

Thanks a lot,

Roberto.

Hi Roberto;

Please don't update the dictionary file on the provisioning file. This may be the issue, although cannot guarantee it.

Regards

Alberto

Hi Alberto.

I posted a question about how to change the language of a 504G of my company at this - https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3752817#3752817

but i have not received attention.. i only want to know how to charge the dictionary to the phone.. and with your last answer I really dont know how to make it,

because I think, that it works with the provisioning process..

Well I know how provisioning the Phone with TFTP.. but.. I have the doubt with the spanish language, I have to mount the script XML in a server and redirect the Phone's provisioning to this server??

or the Question is,...  in wich seccion of the phone web GUI I have to do this?...

I appreciated your help, really,

Please give me a hand.

Eric Alarcón.