Replies

Langue SPA525G2

ceni
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have recovered IP PHONE SPA525G2.
I updated the phones 7.6.2.e.

I would like to change the language to French.
How to do ?
I insert the dictionary script:

<Dictionary_Server_Script ua='na'>serv=tftp://ip server/chemin;d0=English-US;x0=spa525_en_v761.xml;d1=Portuguese;x1=spa525_pt_v761.xml;d2=Danish;x2=spa525_dk_v761.xml;d3=Swedish;x3=spa525_se_v761.xml;d4=Norwegian;x4=spa525_no_v761.xml;d5=Spanish-Mexico;x5=spa525_es_mx_v761.xml;d6=Spanish;x6=spa525_es_v761.xml;d8=Dutch;x8=spa525_nl_v761.xml;d9=Italian;x9=spa525_it_v761.xml;d10=French;x10=spa525_fr_v761.xml;</Dictionary_Server_Script>

I find the languages on the phone. I choose French but nothing changes.

Thanks for your help

18 Replies 18

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello ceni,

You have to upgrade your SPA525G2 to firmware version 7.5.5a which has added support for a dozen languages including French. Please refer to the following page:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/csbpipp/ip_phones/release/notes/source/spa525g-rn-7-5-5a/spa525-relnote-7-5-5a.html

Regards,

Martin

@ceni  is using 7.6.2e firmware.  Change to 7.5.5a is not upgrade but downgrade. French is supported from 7.5.5a onward. It includes 7.6.2e firmware the @ceni have already. There's no reason to downgrade.Your advise solves nothing. But it's not only useless, it's dangerous.

According documentation, downgrade is unsupported operation and according my experience, improper downgrade can irreversibly brick the phone.  Sorry, I consider your advice so dangerous to be followed.

Moreover, neither 7.5.5a firmware nor related language pack is available for download from Cisco. Are you, the Cisco employee, ready to provide suggested firmware to @ceni ?

@Dan Lukes 

Which documentation are you referring to? 

I wasn't even close to thinking such offensive behavior would come from a member like you Dan Lukes?

Take care,

Martin

It has been document from famous Cisco/Linksys employee @Patrick Born . Unfortunately, many it's documents published on CSC has been lost during last system upgrade (even those I has been co-author of) and I'm unable to found it just now. Either it has been lost or it has been moved somewhere. Why I remember it ? Because it has been mentioned during discussion about my phone I bricked by downgrade. Cisco denied the responsibility because downgrade is unsupported operation unless ordered by Cisco technician/support. I trashed the phone because it has been bricked with no way to repair it.

Yes, my wording has been offensive. You, the Cisco employee, advised to @ceni, the novice, procedure that can turn it's phone into just non-repairable brick. I has been very upset because of such advice. Our advises should not put other community members into risk. OK, sorry for strong wording, we all are doing mistakes.

Dan Lukes,

I've already replied to ceni and also think is a waste of time even discussing further. Anything documented from anybody does not make it an official Cisco statement. No comment on that, not professional at all.

Martin

It's up to others to consider what's professional ...

You better have a look again at what professionalism is...

ceni
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Martin,

Thank you for the answer. Indeed my Phone is 7.6.2.
I will upgrade to version 7.5.5a. I would make a comeback.
Thanks for your help.

Ceni

Hello ceni,

I didn't notice you are already running 7.6.2 which should have the language pack you are looking for. Please disregard my last advice, you don't have to downgrade the phone firmware.

Regards,

Martin

ceni
Level 1
Level 1

do you know the default port of SPA525G2?
I'm trying a telnet connection to bring the files

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Start with most simple script:

<Dictionary_Server_Script ua='na'>serv=tftp://ip server/chemin;d0=English;x0=spa525_en_v761.xml;d1=French;x1=spa525_fr_v761.xml;</Dictionary_Server_Script>

Note that d0/x0 should be English. Some firmware versions choke on attempt to use different language here.

If it still doesn't work, verify the French dictionary file can be  downloaded from server by phone. As file is persistently cached and downloaded by phone just once, you need to rename the file on server (and change it's name in script) for the purpose of this test.

If there's no issue with download, turn on syslog&debug (highest level possible) and catch the logs. Rename the file on server (and in script) once more, allow phone to download it, try to switch language. Logs should help you (or us) with issue analysis.

If you wish to follow @Martin Aleksandrov advice (e.g. downgrade to 7.5.5a) then reset phone to factory default first (e.g. don't upgrade configured and/or phone with language files cached inside). Once downgraded, DON'T use language files for 7.6.1 (or newer) firmware. You should use language files compatible with the firmware version you are using (e.g. 7.5.5).

Note that neither 7.5.5a firmware nor related language pack are available for download from Cisco anymore. So ask @Martin Aleksandrov  where to obtain them.  He is claiming self to be Cisco employee, so he should be able to provide files to you.

Related:Debug and syslog Messages from the SPA3xx, SPA5xxG, SPA9xx, & WIP310 IP Phones

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

One more note - be careful with playing. Read SPA504G won't boot up after misconfiguration for more. No firmware release notes claims the issue patched so you should assume it's still here to be on safe side.

ceni
Level 1
Level 1

I have version 7.6.2 installed on the server.
I have correctly entered the dictionary in the web interface.
I see it's taking effect on the phone.
But I have the impression that the XML files are not read to translate the interface.

I tried to do a TFTP with TFTP32.
But it is a failure.
I am trying to transfer with the Telnet method but I cannot find the phone port.

I am looking for a way to transfer my XML language files.
I am looking for a way that I can retrieve the conf file from the phone.

I confess I get lost in all of this.

Thanks for all of your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: