Views
Helpful
Replies

Licensing Question (UC560)

FAST-DETECT
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we are planning to purchase a UC560-BRI-K9 model (currently we're running asterisk with SPAs and 7940/60s). As I already figured out, originally cisco released the UC560 with 16 User licensense but upped them to 24 "recently". Some retailers still show the UC560 with 16 licenses what is kinda misleading.

But I still don't fully understand the cisco licensing-section on the UC560 page: "http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/reference_guide_c07-566560.html#wp9000408"

There, the UC560 is listed with "24 user licenses, 6 supplemental user licenses" above that it states: "Note: Out of the 24 base licenses provided with the UC560 8 are supplemental licenses."

How do I interpret this correctly? Is it like: 16+8+6 or is it 16+8 or is it 18+6 or is it 24+6 - I'm a bit confused now .

And what about those FXS-ports. I read, that FXS licenses are an undocumented bonus on top of those 24 user licenses that come with the UC560.

I looked around and also searched the web, but I couldn't find what a supplemental license is, and how it differs from a normal user license.

- We currently have 15 IP-phones deployed in our office for day to day use.

In Addition:

- We need one FXS for our fax-machine

- and we are also planning on installing an addition BRI-VIC for our ISDN-fax-server and some DECT-phones (no mailbox or special features needed on those phones/fax-server).

- We also have 4 "extensions" that don't have any phone attached and are only forwarded to mobile phones and don't need any special features.

Those 15 IP-phones will use for sure 15 user licenses.

Do the fax-machine, fax-server and dect-phones require any licenses?

Do the 4 static call forwards need any licenses?

Since we don't use any special features with those FXS-ports do we get "4 bonus licenses" on top, like 24+6+4?

We are also planning on subscribing to the 3yr service (CON-SBS-SVC4). If we subscribe to this service plan, are we eligible to download the latest sccp-firmware for our 7940/7960 phones?

Sorry for asking a lot of (probably stupid) questions, but I'm pretty sure they are quickly answered.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

regards,

Fabian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

To expand upon that a bit --

For both the UC540 and UC560, you now get 30 licenses out of box total (24 base + 6 supplemental).

What this means is you can have up to 30 phones registered (online) at once.

FXS ports only count against that total when they are in ephone mode. (I think CCA calls this "user mode" or something -- where they show up under the "Users and Extensions" screen as a phone instead of being configured from the FXS window)

By the way, the justifcation for the supplemental licenses are: +4 for the FXS ports and +2 for "remote users". (but the licenses are the same as any other, so you can use them for any purpose)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mdube
Level 1
Level 1

To answer just a part of your question and to quote Darren in another thread :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2125126?tstart=30

Darren DeCroock a écrit:

Hello Waldo,

The reason there is conflicting information, is that the number of base licenses was changed. If you are running the lastest software pack (8.2.0) with IOS 15.1(2)T4. You will then have a base of 24 user licenses. If you are running any of the previous Software packs/IOS's, the base on a UC560 is only 16 users.

If you are using a previous version, upgrading the unit will increase your base licenses.

Thank you,

Darren

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

For both the UC540 and UC560, you now get 30 licenses out of box total (24 base + 6 supplemental).

FXS ports only count against that total when they are in ephone mode. (I think CCA calls this "user mode" or something -- where they show up under the "Users and Extensions" screen as a phone instead of being configured from the FXS window)

By the way, the justifcation for the supplemental licenses are: +4 for the FXS ports and +2 for "remote users". (but the licenses are the same as any other, so you can use them for any purpose)

Hi Daniel,

thanks that was the information a was looking for!

regards

Fabian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: