cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft Small Business Server and UC560

Robert Prideaux
Level 1
Level 1

Am facing an install of a UC560, in a site with SBS 2008 resident.

ESW switches and SA520W for security.

Now, if it is setup correctly (in MS parlance,) The DHCP service is run by the SBS server - and it gets all snitty, if it is turned off.

Also, a UC500, works/installs, much, much easier/less troublesome if you follow the defaults; one of which is DHCP from the UC500 - with default VLANS.

Has anyone had any dramas/suggestions/work arounds they have to share in this case?

I have years of MS experience - but am still a noob where the gnarly bits of UC are concerned... 

8 Replies 8

craig.corbett
Level 2
Level 2

The new recent CCA will allow you to delete the data dhcp scope with just a few clicks. Very easy to do - just leave the voice dhcp scope as is.

Problem I have seen Craig, is that if you change default VLAN/Scope; then PC's that are daisy chained off the handsets, display connection problems - ie, they don't get an address .

Only reliable fix is to go back to the default scope and use it; initially i was trying to use the default VLAN1 scope from the SA520W (75.0) - but the UC did not like it when you changed the DATA scope (10.0) - so set it all back to default and away it went,

So what I have seen is, if you go away from 10.0 (DATA) and 100.0(VOICE), it all goes pear shaped...

Hi Rob,

Good to see you seeking out questions mate

Firstly the easiest way to do this is to build the system in default configuration mode, once the system is built to your satisfaction, proceed to change the Subnet of the Data VLAN to the one required, once it is change then remove the DHCP server settings for the Data Vlan... Do it in this order and you will be just fine

If there is an SBS server in the mix, then just leave it as the concentrator it will make life easier for you, even though I always try and convince the I.T guys to allow the Cisco to manage this, I always forget that the Cisco does not do AD (I am not a Windows Admin so I forget easily).

If you plug the PC's into the back of the phones the DHCP broadcast from the SBS server will work fine, I have done countless setups in this manner and in fact 90% of them are done like this, so it is a proven method.

Let us know if you need some clarification on anything.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

You know, you are so smart it is scary J

So it is fine to set up the Scopes on the SBS server? And then remove/disable them on the UC500?

I do remember you saying way back when, that the easiest route was to let the UC500 handle it ( and of course, it is!)

Rob,

It is entirely safe, and if it Doesn't work... Simple just blame Cisco and curse them like I do until you calm down and realize it was your fault because you forgot to do something simple such as save the configuration after you make the change (Yes speaking about myself here LOL!!)

Just make the changes in the order I proposed above and you should be fine, alas if you hit a problem give me a call you have my number.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

On another note:

Was having a discussion the other day with a mate who, like you, is a Bourbon drinker – but I have troubles getting him to try anything other than Jim Beam…

Now the local has something called 7 makers or 7 something, that I am sure I read somewhere was a cut above the average… was hoping you might be able to shed some light on it?

It is called Makers Mark and yes it is quite a good drop... We can have that discussion off line though, people might start thinking I'm a drunk

Cheers,

David.

Oops sorry, thought it was going to your private addy…

Weeelllllll; It was a support sort of question though, wasn’t it??? J