cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitor Button and FXS/FXO ports

chris parkinson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a UC560 on the latest software package (downloaded & installed on Wed last week.).

I want to use the monitor button on the SPA 508 to monitor analog FXS and FXO lines.

However, I don't see these as options in the CCA monitor button drop down box.

Is there a way to monitor these FXS and FXO lines?

I have seen another 2 threads with similar questions, but one points to a dead link, and another points to a bug thet has "no detailed information" in the bug tracker.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

Chris

13 Replies 13

mcasimirc63
Level 4
Level 4

The only way to monitor an FXO line in CCA is to setup the line as a CO-Line.  Doing this will affect your inbound dial plan, such that you wont be able to point that FXO line to an operator or AA.  You can't monitor FXS lines directly via CCA or CLI, but you can use CLI to monitor FXO lines with functionality similar to what you are used to in CCA.  If you use CLI, your system will not be supported by STAC if you dont have the proper specializations and it will also most likely "break" CCA and cause it to not work properly. 

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know about the 508 phone or GUI, but its certainly possible to do thta in CME using CLI.

For the FXO interface, you use the "trunk xxx monitor-port xxx" under ephone-dn. Associate the button to the phone as : or s.

That will not prevent the FXO to receive call normally to the plar destination of your choice and if used in conjuction with appropariate DPs for xxx, will allow to directly seize the line.

For the FXS interface, make sure it is configured in SCCP mode. Then you can monitor it with 'b', 'w' buttons, or 'blf-speed-dial'.

Thanks,

I'll give that a try today.

Any chance you can point me to the CLI guide, just want to lookup the "SCCP" mode for the FXS.

Cisco.com is not making it easy for me to find it.

Thanks

Chris

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeadm.html

On the UC500 the FXS ports come by default in SCCP mode. I think they are ephone tags 1-4.

OK, so plot thickens.

I just reviewed a "show run" dump.

Int eh UC560 I have the 4 "built-in" FXS ports, and an FXS add-in card.

Ephone tags 1 to 4 are missing.. /???

But I do have ephone tags 5 to 8, which are labeled as analog.

So do I have to build the ephone tags 1 to 4 back in? and how do these tags tie-in to the analog ports, 0/0/1 for example?

Thanks

Chris

Paolo was incorrect.  CCA does not pre-configure FXS ports to be used in STCAPP mode because they use up phone licenses.  If your FXS ports are not connected to a fax machine you can configure everything through CCA.  If you use CLI there are many steps involved and if you are not familiar with CLI, you will spend a couple hours troubleshooting.  If you are adamant about using CLI, you would have better luck posting your request in the IP Telephony section.

I would use CCA and it will take a couple minutes. Here are some screenshots.

Go to FXS Ports, select user phone and give the FXS port an extension. > Go to users and phones and you will see an anl phone type appear along with the extension you assigned to it. > From here fill out the necessary information and click ok.  At this point you watch the phone as if it were an IP Phone but you will run into issues if you use it as a fax machine.

BTW doing it this will create the CCM group all via CLI, register it will CME, create the ephone and ephone-dn and asscociate the FXS port with the ephone-dn.

Actually, I was only partially correct

The default UC500 configuration (I never mentioned CCA) completely configures the SCCP part for FXS ports, except the ephone and ephone-dn.

Incidentally, there should be no problem in handling fax with SCCP-controlled ports when these are co-residing with the telco interface, as in the UC500 case.

OK, almost there, I have the FXS monitor working by using CCA and assigning users to the analog phones.

The FXO are still giving me an issue....

Do I add the "trunk XX monitor-port 0/1/0" to a new ephone-dn?

If so, what is the significance of the XX, andwhat other config is required on the new ephone-dn.

When that is configured, do I just uses the monitor button as I did before in CCA?

I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks

Chris

XX points to the destination pattern of the voice port.  You would need to create an ephone-dn, modify the voice ports and the dial-peers.  Once you do that you would need to add the button configurations via CLI because CCA will not read the changes you have made.  In short you will need to copy and paste each config for every ephone you have and in the future if you need to make changes, they will have to be done via CLI.  Once you make those changes CCA will not be able to populate the button configuration.

If you not a CME/CLI person or have the EX-UC cert, going down that road will make it unmanageable and unsupported.

Hi Marcus,

I am not sure why this is being done via CLI when CCA automatically does Trunk Line Monitoring for the user if so chosen??? What Chris is trying to do in CLI is done via CCA, well at least in part it is, making the CLI changes is going to put Chris in a world of pain when it comes to any sort of management or support on it.

Are you sure you want to venture down this track Chris? Are you certain you have canvassed CCA completely to make the required changes or support??

I need to throw that out there, often more than not people venture down this track and then realize later on that maybe they shouldn't have, and pleas tell me you made a a backup of the config before making the cli changes? I.E copy start to flash: "file name.cfg" so that way if you quickly needed revert back to how it was before the changes you could do it with just a reload.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David Trad wrote:

Hi Marcus,

I am not sure why this is being done via CLI when CCA automatically does Trunk Line Monitoring for the user if so chosen??? What Chris is trying to do in CLI is done via CCA, well at least in part it is, making the CLI changes is going to put Chris in a world of pain when it comes to any sort of management or support on it.

Cheers,

David.

My first post explains it.

If anyone has a simpler way of monitoring an FXO port, without breaking my auto-attendant, I'm all ears!

SIGH!!

I wish I did Chris

Because you have an AA in play here there is no easy way to achieve it if any at all whilst still being CCA compliant and SBSC compliant.

One thought I did have was have all incoming calls pass through a floating extension which has a permanant call-forward turned on and pointing to an AA, but I dont have a system I can mock this up for you to test it.... I suspect that once the call is handed of to the AA the button wont stay lit

Your problem has me racking my brain, maybe CLI is the only way to do it, I would then seek special permission from support for CLI modifications, they could potentialy find a way to do it without breaking CCA..

Cheers,

David

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: