Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Name display on top of phone

I'm having an odd issue.  When I create a phone, the proper name (first last) displays at the top right of the phone display.  However, as soon as I share the primary line (i.e. to an IPC or reception), the name display is replaced by the extension instead of the name.  I've looked at the config ( the name value of the ephone-dn) and don't see any reason this should change

Any idea how to force the display back to the name when a shared line is used?

Thanx

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello Timothy and Andy,

I have misread the question the label on the top of the phone is "description" in the ephone-dn. In the CCA is in the button assignment "Description". The "label" is the label of the displayed name of the line next to the button on the phone.

HTH,

Alex

*Pease rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Timothy,

In CCA under Button 1 Configuration, there is a Description and Label adjustment field, Label is used for the naming of the button, and Description is what you see on the top right, modify the one that you wish, but remember with SPA-500 series phones there is a limitation on characters, 12 is the comfortable limit I work of, anything above that cuts things off, or will get blocked after 15 I think.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi Timothy,

Please check the "label" setting of the ephone-dn.

Best regards,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts.

a sort-of related question: I have proper names that are first mid last (and in one potential case, first mid mid last). How do I get those displayed correctly, spaces included?

Rgds

Andy

Hello Timothy and Andy,

I have misread the question the label on the top of the phone is "description" in the ephone-dn. In the CCA is in the button assignment "Description". The "label" is the label of the displayed name of the line next to the button on the phone.

HTH,

Alex

*Pease rate helpful posts.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Timothy,

In CCA under Button 1 Configuration, there is a Description and Label adjustment field, Label is used for the naming of the button, and Description is what you see on the top right, modify the one that you wish, but remember with SPA-500 series phones there is a limitation on characters, 12 is the comfortable limit I work of, anything above that cuts things off, or will get blocked after 15 I think.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

You guys are correct.  Thank you.  For some reason, when you change the line type to shared, CCA disables the description field and sets the value to the DN.  I modified them through CLI and it worked great.

doesn't seem to like spaces

Two sample users for me: one has fifteen characters in her name, including a space between first and last names, and the other has twelve but has a middle letter between first and last, which should be spaced (still less than fifteen). The spaces are stripped out ....

Hi There,

The UC cannot handle too many characters for names, it also cannot handle hifenated numbers or multiple spaces, purely a first and last name.

On top of that I will also point again that there is not much room to work with, I actually think I might have been wrong and 12 characters is sort of the maximum you can go, although memory is failing me a bit, I do remember that long names on both phone naming and button naming eats away at so many things it is just better to abbreviate the names or find a more consistent way of doing it.

Always remember that there is not much real-estate with the SPA-500 series phones, you cannot do with them what you could formaly do with the 7900 series phones, well not without some sacrifices.

Cheers,

David.

Jeremy Koch
Level 1
Level 1

So is this someting that will be fixed in CCA, or we have to learn to use CLI to fix?

UC540 system with 8.6.1 Software Pack

Well after opening a support case, it is official that this is by design and will never be 'fixed'. CLI it is

UC540 system with 8.6.2 Software Pack
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: