Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Configuration for UC320

omair.sheikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

I am struggling to setup a network for UC320W with SPA504G phones and SG200-50P switch.

I chose the 1st topology i.e UC320 will act as data and voice DHCP server.

When I plugged the phones in they took a lot of time to get the IP address and got the Data VLAN IP address 192.168.1.x

I was not able to ping the phone at all and because of that couldn't access the GUI of phones.

UC320 was not detecting the phones and I had to manually add them. But it showed offline.

I will be giving it another try today so thought if I could get some advice from the experts.

I am planning to configure a trunk on one of the SG200 switch port and configure Data and Voice VLANs. Then plug the UC320 in trunk port and phones on other ports. I think the phones should get the correct IP address of Voice VLAN and I should be able to ping them.

Do you guys have any advice for me? Do I need to do anything else to get the phones registered to UC320.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards

Omair Sheikh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

voodooaddict wrote:

I've been reading all the technical documentation I can get my hands on in prep for deploying a UC320w and SPA504gs with SG200-08, SG200-08P, RVS4000 and Microsoft SBS 2008.

From what I've read here are some thoughts:

1. Make sure the SG200s and UC320 are on the latest firmware
  2. Ensure that the SG200s are setup with at least 2 VLANS  -   VLAN 1 for Data, VLAN 100 for Voice
  3. Ensure that the DHCP Server settings on your UC320 have different subnets for Voice and Data segments. The defaults should work well with any exclusions for existing network devices.
  4. If the UC320 isn't your networks Internet gateway, at least ensure that the WAN and LAN IPs for the UC320 are on different subnets.

Before the SG200s recognize the proper VLAN Tags your phone's DHCP requests won't get picked up by the right DHCP server on the UC320.

Another important item for #2 above:  VLAN 1 is untagged and VLAN 100 is tagged for all ports with phones & SPA8800 gateways connected AND the uplink to the UC320W.

Chris

View solution in original post

mrarmando007
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure all ports on vlan100 are untagged and leave one port on vlan100 not attached to a phone but to the uc320w being tagged all other ports could be on vlan1 for data and must be untagged. Also make sure you have two cables going from the switch to the uc320w one on the tagged vlan100 an the other on the untagged vlan1

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

voodooaddict
Level 1
Level 1

I've been reading all the technical documentation I can get my hands on in prep for deploying a UC320w and SPA504gs with SG200-08, SG200-08P, RVS4000 and Microsoft SBS 2008.

2. Ensure that the SG200s are setup with at least 2 VLANS  -   VLAN 1 for Data, VLAN 100 for Voice
  3. Ensure that the DHCP Server settings on your UC320 have different subnets for Voice and Data segments. The defaults should work well with any exclusions for existing network devices.
  4. If the UC320 isn't your networks Internet gateway, at least ensure that the WAN and LAN IPs for the UC320 are on different subnets.

Before the SG200s recognize the proper VLAN Tags your phone's DHCP requests won't get picked up by the right DHCP server on the UC320.

voodooaddict wrote:

Another important item for #2 above:  VLAN 1 is untagged and VLAN 100 is tagged for all ports with phones & SPA8800 gateways connected AND the uplink to the UC320W.

Chris

For me, it worked the other way

VLAN 1 - Data VLAN - tagged

VLAN 100 - Voice VLAN - untagged

Also I excluded the data ports from VLAN 100

mrarmando007
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure all ports on vlan100 are untagged and leave one port on vlan100 not attached to a phone but to the uc320w being tagged all other ports could be on vlan1 for data and must be untagged. Also make sure you have two cables going from the switch to the uc320w one on the tagged vlan100 an the other on the untagged vlan1

mrarmando007 wrote:

Hi,

Respectfully, I disagree with this implementation strategy.  An important part was left out and that is that the switch ports connected to phones need to be Access ports on VLAN 100.

• This adds configuration complexity and management of the ports on the switch.
  • PCs shouldn't be plugged into the back of the phones because the data traffic would then be placed on the QoS Voice VLAN.
  • There is currently no spanning tree running on the UC320, a small configuration error will cause a L2 loop and stop the LAN.

The Cisco recommended solution makes all ports tagged on VLAN 100 and untagged on VLAN 1.  By doing this you can plug PCs into the back of the phones and the PC traffic is placed on VLAN 1 and Voice/SIP is placed on the QoS enabled VLAN 100.  Any additional phone expansion, you simply plug in the phone to the switch.  No additional switch configuration is needed.  No risk of loops.

Thanks,

Chris

Another clear advantage of not plugging PCs into the SPA500 Phones is preserving gigabit desktop speeds.  The way I understand it the phones only provide a 10/100 port.

omair.sheikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys

Thanks for your replies. All the replies have been very helpful in someway or the other to configure the network.

I have got the network working by following these steps:

i) I configured UC320W as the DHCP server for both voice and data with default VLANs; VLAN 1 for Data and VLAN 100 for Voice.

ii) For switch SG200, VLAN 1 is already created. So, I just created VLAN 100 for voice. The switch has the option of port to VLAN mapping.

Over there, I assigned all the required ports for phones to VLAN 100 as trunk

( Although I believe technically, all the ports should be access port except the one thats connected to UC320 )

The important step is to set all the voice ports as untagged.

Also, I excluded VLAN 1 on ports that are connected to phones

I plugged in a connection from the broadband router into UC320's WAN

The phones and computers got the proper IP Address

I still believe that this is not the best way to deploy UC320 in a network and any suggestions and advices would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards

Omair Sheikh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: