Views
Helpful
Replies

New coverged line for UC520

dcomdan
Level 1
Level 1

Gentleman and Ladies,

This past year we bought a UC520 with 4 analog ports for our office.  The unit is configured and running nicely.  The contract on our T-1 is currently up and we are looking at possibly moving to either a PRI or SDSL or something of the sort.  I feel like this is the perfect opportunity to integrate the voice and data into a single carrier and reap the cost savings.  Since the box is so new to us, is there a preferred or best practices recomendation as to a good/better/best solution in terms of what type of line to buy and how to connect to the UC520.  Any guidance that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Stay Warm,

Dan Katz

Genesis Integrators

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Saurabh Verma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Dan,

What kind of box is your current T1 terminating on? Are you planning to use the same device to terminate the integrated voice and data T1? Please keep in mind that the UC500 can support a voice T1 PRI, but it does not support a data T1. So the integrated voice and data T1 will need to be terminated on a device that support this setup.

Within Cisco, there are a few CPE devices that can be used to achieve this. The options would be IAD2430 (normally provided by SPs such as Cbeyond, XO, etc.) or ISRs.

"SIP Trunking" would be one of the other options that you may want to look into. With this option, you can run voice on top of data circuits (as opposed to using the digital or analog trunks for voice).

HTH,

Saurabh

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Saurabh Verma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Dan,

What kind of box is your current T1 terminating on? Are you planning to use the same device to terminate the integrated voice and data T1? Please keep in mind that the UC500 can support a voice T1 PRI, but it does not support a data T1. So the integrated voice and data T1 will need to be terminated on a device that support this setup.

Within Cisco, there are a few CPE devices that can be used to achieve this. The options would be IAD2430 (normally provided by SPs such as Cbeyond, XO, etc.) or ISRs.

"SIP Trunking" would be one of the other options that you may want to look into. With this option, you can run voice on top of data circuits (as opposed to using the digital or analog trunks for voice).

HTH,

Saurabh

Hi Saurabh,

We are planning to migrate to UC520 16 or 24 user platform and moving from multiple FXO lines to a single T1 to support both voice and data.

As you mentioned UC520 does not support data T1, how can this setup be implemented in cost effective manner?

Thanks,

Salik

I think the other poster just meant that the UC520 doesn't have two T1 ports or a CSU/DSU so can't have separate voice and data T1 or channelized T1.  A provider like Cbeyond will provide you with a demarcation router at your premise.  This router will belong to them and have the T1 on their side and Ethernet on your side to interface to your UC520.  This will allow you to have SIP trunks with DID, caller ID, etc. and also Internet on the same circuit.

I would read up on QOS and try to understand the implications of having voice and data share the same circuit.  You want to be sure to understand how the provider can prioritize your voice traffic and how to configure your UC520 to prioritize as well.  Without proper QOS configuration you may not be happy with the voice quality of a service like this.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Brandon is correct. The T1 termination device is often provided by the SIP provider. Also, business-grade QoS enabled circuits will guarantee a good user experience.

Thanks,

Marcos

Hi Brandon,

We are looking into Flex T1 service provided by verizon http://mediumbusiness.verizon.com/products/access/flex_plus.aspx.

We will have 12 channels for internet (768kbps) and 12 channels for voice. For this setup what additional equipment may be required if T1 card which can be installed on UC520 does not support both voice and data.

Thanks,

Salik

You should confirm this with whomever you order service from, but I am pretty sure they will provide equipment that will have seperate ports for voice T1 and internet via Ethernet.  Here is a link from the same web site about a router they typically use for this type of service:

http://mediumbusiness.verizon.com/products/equip/adtran.aspx

You might also ask if this service is dynamic.  It doesn;t sound like it from your description.  Dynamic, meaning that you can use more (all 1.5mb) of the bandwidth for internet if there are no voice calls active.  Most providers can do this today and don't require you to give up half your bandwidth when no voice calls are in progress.

brandon

Brandon,

Thanks for the information regarding Adtran router. It seems verizon will provide TA624 with DSX-1 port. Could not find much information regarding DSX-1 port.

Can DSX-1 port be directly connected to the T1 port on VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 which will be installed on UC520?

Thanks,

Salik

UC500 does not support direct data termination. You need an IAD in the middle.

Thanks,

Marcos

hmm..  Marcos I think you misunderstood.  It sound like he does have an IAD- the Adtran with the DSX1 port..

Got you. This should work then.

Thanks,

Marcos

Yes, the DSX1 port on your IAD is where you plug your voice T1.  It will alos have an Ethernet port for you to connect as well, if you use their internet.

dcomdan
Level 1
Level 1

We are thinking about using the VOIP service from XO who is our current provider.  We have an old 2611 that has a WIC in it so we would be replacing that unit with something new.

Here is the link with the services they offer.  I would love to bring in a single converged solution.  Just not sure if this is the right one and if so, what sort of "boarder router" I would need to accomidate this line.  Any guidence you have would be great.

http://www.xo.com/smb/voip/Pages/overview.aspx

Thanks for the help

Dan

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How about SIP Trunk from a Service provider like any of the ones who have already achieved 'designated' status (meaning they ran and passed a set of tests we provide to them).

Do a search on SIP Trunk in the search bar and you will find alot of collateral.   There is also a SIP Trunk Webcast we delivered October 28th you may want to watch that explains it.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-1375

Dan,

I would suggest you use Paetec's Dynamic IP sollution. They can give you a T1 with botth internet and SIP that will connect directly to the UC520 wan port.

I use paetec for MPLS/SIP etc.. and they are just the best when it comes to this stuff.

With the Dynamic IP you will get QOS for vioce traffic and it will auto adjust to give you more internet access when there are no calls. They will also rent you a cisco router, configure it, and monitor it for a minimal charge.

Of all the ISP I have used over the years, Verizon, Quest, One Communition, XO, these guy are the best.

http://www.paetec.com/downloads/app_brief/Dynamic%20IP%20Application%20Brief.pdf

Thanks

Hartman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: