Views
Helpful
Replies

New to UC500 install and selling

richardhanel
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to

this market and have asked a lot of question of other partners from different areas and have heard that the biggest problem that they have run in to is no so much in the selling but in the installation.  More specifically, the wiring at the clients site.  My question is what can I do prior to the install to verify the wiring is good at a client and what specifically will I be testing for?  Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

7 Replies 7

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Buzz out all the ethernet runs (all wires) so you are sure you ahve true CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet connectivity would be my recommendation.

Sometimes our phones will actually display BAD ETHERNET if the POE pairs are good but others not.  Of course, if its totally wrong, the phone wont come up at all.

You do not have to worry about a particular phone going in a particular spot either.  If you preconfigured your system, you want to make sure John Smiths phone goes on John Smiths desck, but the ethernet run it takes back to the switch isnt unique and doesnt have to be.

Hope that makes sense.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rich,

I would say that the biggest problem is integrating it into an existing network, the cabling has never really been an issue for me if there are computers operating/functioning correctly on the network, then the phones shouldn't have any problems (Maybe with the exception of the occasional rogue cable).

One of the most important things that is forgotten at times is just exactly how powerful the UC's are, in a Greenfield site you can set the Cisco up to do everything.. Switching, Routing, DHCP, DNS, Default Gateway, Telephony inclusive of analogue, digital & SIP trunks...

The best advise to give with any Cisco based installations are:

• Post Sale - First Contact:
    Try and scope out the clients requirements as much as possible at this point, understand what they want, what they are trying to achieve and what are the drivers for their business... Knowing this now will make the next steps natural and easy to manage
  • Site Survey:
    Scope the clients site, see what cables they have I.E Cat5E or Cat6E, how many ports they have at each desk, do they want to do Unified Coms or do they want to keep the network structurally separate? (NOTE: At times you might come across resistance from I.T staff to running unified coms, the whole idea of putting everything on single line tends to make them skittish). Make sure you find out if they want to go GigE or just 10/100 for their network, it is best to set this precedence straight away
  • Data Capturing:
    Use the Site Survey document that is provided by Cisco, it is brilliant at capturing the relevant data required to build the system and even to deploy it, and most of all you can capture the basic call flow information as well (You will still need to fine tune this with the client).
  • Scope Of Works:
    Do not be afraid to write up a scope of works, make sure that there is a clear understanding between you and the client as to what is being done I.E Cable running, re-location of any equipment etc..etc.. Do not leave yourself in a position where you are having to pay for extra work because it was not quoted for. Make sure you set your customers expectations from the word go, and if possible keep as much of those expectations fluid just incase unexpected issue arise such as delivery of goods, technician becomes sick, or acts of nature etc..etc..
  • System Build:
    The single best advice one can give is, stage the system up in your office/lab prior to install, I have seen over the last 5 years people do live installs at the customer premises, let me just say there is no greater embarrassment then a client watching you struggle with issues, spending hours on the phone with support... It gives the impression you are either not trained, have no clue what you are doing, or the equipment that is being installed is difficult and potentially problematic. Staging the system also gives you the ability to map out the call flow and detect any potential problems that might arise, it also reduces the amount of time you need to spend out on the clients site, but be sure you prep the system for remote access, and you do this during the site survey but find out what the edge/wan devices are and how you can change/manipulate/configure it to operate to a level that is interoperable with the Cisco equipment that will be deployed. Staging the system also gives you wiggle room, just incase other issues arise whilst onsite, you are not trying to put out multiple fires and you can focus on single issues.
  • Deployment:
    If the company has local I.T representives or External contractors (If not yourself) then try and set your install date to a day they are available to be onsite with you, having them on your side and working with you will also ensure that the deployment will go smoothly, it also grants you the ability to get network changes done quickly and may prevent a stalled deployment... However make sure the client approves this as there will no doubt be a charge to them to have that resource there and available on tap to you. Test and Double test your deployment, never leave a site without making sure your deployment is done right, do not put your client through that pain, it gives you, Cisco and other Cisco partners a bad name, and brands those of us who do the right thing as cow boys, so please make sure the client is happy before you leave and they sign-off on the scope of works.
  • Post Sales:
    Make sure you keep yourself open to post sales work, the majority of the time you will need to do some tweaking to extensions, call flows and other smaller things after the install, make sure you factor into your quotation of the system a minimum 3-4 hours for post sales work, this can go a very long way to working with your client, but do draw a line in the sand so the client does not try and over use this too much.
  • Regular Maintenance:
    Set your client up on a 3 or 6 month maintenance cycle, this way you are following Cisco's maintenance releases or full release cycles, keeping your clients system up-to-date is not only doing a good thing by them, but also good for you or any Cisco engineer as upgrading from one major release to one that is maybe 2 or 3 ahead could be problematic, not to mention it increases features and keeps the client happy because you are being pro-active with them... Good little money spinner this one as well

This is the basic setup/guide I follow and it has been a good formula and has worked quite well for a long time... There are more steps that I follow but they are somewhat custom to me and my style, you will develop your own and also fill in the blanks.

I have attached the site survey document that I use, and it has been customized from the original one that Cisco provided, you should consider using it yourself and even maybe customize it for the way you do business.

Hope this helps you out

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

Thank you so much for the detailed answer.  I'm printing this out to keep it like a check list along with the site survey doc.  I'm hopping to really get into VOIP as there is nobody (to my knowledge) in town that does this.  If someone wants it, they need to go 2 - 4 towns over to get the help.  So I'm in a unique position and really can't afford to blow it.  Need to do it right the first time and being a single person operation makes it even more important. Thanks again for your help.

Rich

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

Try this and see if it helps you out

Developed by the TEE team

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16634

Best of luck on the new practice

Aruthur,

Thanks for the link.  Just pulled it down and will go through it a bit latter.

It's so great that there are other partners out there which are willing to help others.

Rich.

Rich,

It's so great that there are other partners out there which are willing to help others.

You are certainly amongst friends here, Cisco Reps, Partners and even End Users... All willing to help and participate in the active (Pro-Active) support for all things UC

You should never ever find yourself left stranded and without support, the SBS team are also helpful and you should never ever hesitate to log a case, after all this is what you pay for when you purchase the maintenance/support agreement, they are there to make your life easier so USE them

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

richardhanel
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for the tips.   This will really help as I

believe there is nobody in my town that does all

digital phones.  So I'm very hopeful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: