cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie question on UC560 voice system. Problem registering phones.

Brandon Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.  I am a newcomer to the professional IT world, and have fairly limited experience with voice and networking.  My boss has assigned me the task of implementing our new voice system, and seeing as I'm the one IT guy here it all falls in my lap .  I'm having an issue with the UC560 voice system registering our SPA508G IP phones.  I believe the problem is that the UC560 IP address (192.168.10.1) lies on a different subnet than the phones (192.168.1.x).  I am also unable to access the UC560 from my office computer through CCA since it also lies on a different subnet.  Can anyone guide me in the right direction to fixing this so that the Cisco Configuration Agent telephony wizard picks up the IP phones automatically?  Thank you!

64 Replies 64

Hi Brandon,

The network diagram was a great insight and much needed

I am though at a little loss as to why you have both an ASA and the Sonic in the network, was there a specific reason to have two firewalls? What is each one of then doing?? I am sure you are aware of it, but the ASA is a much more powerful unit and could pretty do what the Sonic is doing without a hassle.

However with the way the network topology is setup now, we will have to reconsider a couple of things... I am going to have to think this through a little because it will also depend on what you want the UC to do, if it is just straight pure telephony without any Internet capabilities things might be a little simpler, but if you have to do full integration this might get a bit messy.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

The sonic is used for web filtering and analytics only I believe, but it was not implemented by me and is maintained and administered by my boss.  As far as what we want the UC to do, we want to use it as mainly a phone system with some of the features that the IP phones have...but it is primarily just a replacement for our current phone system.

Hi Brandon,

Haven't worked out what time it is where you are at this minute (Working on some other issues) however did you want to do a teamviewer session?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

If you work it out I am in the office from 12AM-8AM(sometimes 9AM) your time.  Not exactly ideal for you lol.

You interested in working back late lol

Cheers,

David.

"Sent from my Acer Iconia A500"

Latest I could stay is probably 10am your time.  This may not work out .  What times are best for you?

Hi Brandon,

How urgent is this?

If it is urgent I will schedule a 5am wake up for me and then help you out with it, this week, or at least in the next couple of days.

Let me know so I can start working out how to best accommodate you.

Cheers,

David.

It's not extremely urgent but I was hoping to at least do something before the end of the week.  I really don't want to inconvenience you, though.  If there's a particular day, whether this week or another, that works best for you I can hold off until then.

Hi Brandon,

If I make it back home this Friday night (Thursday your time) by midnight from a business functions, in one piece without my brains turned into mash (No not drunk lol) I will message you and we will kick it of then.

Not sure how to contact you, maybe you can send me some form of contact details via private message on here and that way I will have a way to alert you I am online.

No promises though at this stage as I am somewhat a little over worked at the moment, but I also do not want to leave you hanging dry so be patient with me

Cheers,

David.

You can contact me at bsmith@hartlandcontrols.com or skype (smitbro2).  Again, it is whatever and whenever is convenient for you. 

Brandon Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone direct me towards fixing this so that the phones aren't getting the 192.168.1.x addresses from my DHCP server?  Still confused .  Probably gonna have a professional from the reseller we purchased from install it if all else fails.

How is the port on the SF-300 configured that is attached to the phone? What about the port that is connected to the UC?

One thing you may want to try is just making the phone port an access-port in vlan 100 (assuming you are using this as your voice vlan still).

My guess is there is some layer 2 issue happening right now such that the phones aren't tagging their packets on the voice vlan.

Hi Brandon,

Firstly I deeply apologies for not being available to you last week

Sadly my work commitments become too much for me to spread myself thin and i was doing a lot of interstate traveling.

Private message me as I would like to consider looking at this for you ASAP, I will wake up early in the morning to give this a look and get you on the road to setup as quickly as possible.

Again I deeply apologies for not talking to you sooner and letting you know where I was at.

Cheers,

David.

No problem at all David.  I don't expect anyone to drop their normal commitments.  I actually have made amazing progress and started to figure things out and correct some mistakes I was making.  I still have some questions though. 

I'm starting work on setting up an auto attendant.  We want to keep the auto attendant as similar as we can to our old one.  With our old AA, there was an option to go to our directory, where you can punch in the first few letters of a name followed by # and it would reply with matching name and extension.  I notice there is a directory list that I can maintain in the UC560.  I'm having trouble, however, figuring out how to go to a directory prompt from the auto attendant main menu.  Is this possible with the UC560?  I just want the same behavior, if possible, as our old phone system I.E. main menu with option to take you to another menu with the directory function.  Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Edit:  Also, I am testing dialing in and out.  We are using our old PSTN lines for the system.  We have 5 lines going into the UC560 (we purchased the expansion card for more FXO ports).  Is there some sort of priority set up for the FXO ports?  I tried plugging into 0/2/3 and wasnt able to dial out but when I plugged into 0/1/0 I dialed out just fine.  Maybe I don't understand the fundamentals of how this part works?

Hi Brandon,

I don't expect anyone to drop their normal commitments.  I actually  have made amazing progress and started to figure things out and correct  some mistakes I was making.  I still have some questions though.  

That is awesome news

So lets tackle your questions

I'm starting work on setting up an auto attendant.  We want to keep  the auto attendant as similar as we can to our old one.  With our old  AA, there was an option to go to our directory, where you can punch in  the first few letters of a name followed by # and it would reply with  matching name and extension.  I notice there is a directory list that I  can maintain in the UC560.  I'm having trouble, however, figuring out  how to go to a directory prompt from the auto attendant main menu.  Is  this possible with the UC560?  I just want the same behavior, if  possible, as our old phone system I.E. main menu with option to take you  to another menu with the directory function.  Any guidance is greatly  appreciated!

I had to ask me a question about a feature I have never used or setup LOL

Here in Australia it is actually not a common feature, well not that I am aware of, the dial-by-extension though is a requested feature.

I can tell you this, the dial-by-name option is in there, and from what I can tell, so long as the names assigned to each extension are done right then in the Auto Attended when you set say "Option 1" or button 1 in the AA to do Dial-by-Name then it will cascade to that prompt management... But this is is far as my knowldge goes on this feature, I am terribly sorry I cannot help you further than that.

Edit:  Also, I am testing dialing in and out.  We are using our old PSTN  lines for the system.  We have 5 lines going into the UC560 (we  purchased the expansion card for more FXO ports).  Is there some sort of  priority set up for the FXO ports?  I tried plugging into 0/2/3 and  wasnt able to dial out but when I plugged into 0/1/0 I dialed out just  fine.  Maybe I don't understand the fundamentals of how this part works?

This is a good question

I can only speak for how it works in the Australian environment, and why I say that is because I have noticed in other regions and based upon that region configuration they worked differently to us here and it has tripped me up a couple of times when providing support to them on here.

As I understand it, the System will start at the last configured FXO which in your case should be FXO Line 5, it does this because it will assume that all the calls will come in on line one if exchange based hunting is in place, and then go line two and then three etc..etc..etc.. However I do believe there is a way to do some form of enforcement but this may not be available in CCA and might only be a CLI based configuration, you are using a mix of Priority on the DIal-Peer and trunk enforcement.

FXO service do not operate like ISDN/PRI so there is some strict rules in place to ensure they operate correctly and no line collisions take place.

I haven't seen or played with CCA 3.2 and thus am not aware of any potentially new functionality, so maybe there might be something in the new version to allow for manipulation specific to your question

Sorry I was unhelpful this time round, and still sad I was not able to do a remote session with you in time and give you some training as well, maybe later I can make it up to you

Cheers,

David.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: