cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie question on UC560 voice system. Problem registering phones.

Brandon Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.  I am a newcomer to the professional IT world, and have fairly limited experience with voice and networking.  My boss has assigned me the task of implementing our new voice system, and seeing as I'm the one IT guy here it all falls in my lap .  I'm having an issue with the UC560 voice system registering our SPA508G IP phones.  I believe the problem is that the UC560 IP address (192.168.10.1) lies on a different subnet than the phones (192.168.1.x).  I am also unable to access the UC560 from my office computer through CCA since it also lies on a different subnet.  Can anyone guide me in the right direction to fixing this so that the Cisco Configuration Agent telephony wizard picks up the IP phones automatically?  Thank you!

64 Replies 64

Thank you for all the wonderful help David.  One more question for now:  Can you explain smart port roles to me?  I assume I should have the port that connects the UC560 to the sf 300 switch set to the "Switch" role? 

Hi Brandon,

This is correct, and all the ports on the SF-300 set to Phone+Desktop

except the trunk ports

Cheers,

David.

"Sent from my Acer Iconia A500"

On Mar 3, 2012 12:53 AM, "smitbrandon2" <

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hmm..having trouble finding smart port options on the SF 300 switch.  Does this have smart port roles?

Edit:  Also, CCA is telling me there is a conflicting port role for the port that I have connected to the SF 300.  It says "conflicting port role, remote device: ipphone, applied role: switch, suggested role: ipphone + desktop.  Any suggestions?

Edit #2: Well, I applied a firmware update to my switch to enable the smartport and other features, but now the phones wont register anymore and are again getting assigned dhcp from my dhcp server and not from the voice pool in the UC like I had finally got working a few days ago.  I'm thinking I'm not setting up the switch properly with the Vlans.  The smartports are all working with the UC560, and I added the switch to CCA.  Kinda stuck at this point.  I have just been messing with some settings, like the auto voice vlan, but nothing seems to work.  I don't wanna roll the switch to the old firmware just to get it to work lol .  Any suggestions on setting up VLAN on the switch and getting the UC and the switch to properly communicate so that I can register phones again?

Just as a background:  before the firmware update I was just adding all the ports that the ip phones were connected to to VLAN 100 as tagged in the SF300 vlan to port configuration.  This is how I finally got the phones to register and get IP addresses from the voice pool in the UC560.  After the firmware update, it added a bunch of features to my switch web interface such as smartport configuration, but phones are no longer registering properly like they were before.  They are again getting DHCP addresses from my server pool (which was my original problem and the reason I made this topic lol). 

I also noticed that the smartport macros say $voice_vlan 1.  Shouldnt this be 100?  Could this be the problem?

Yep it sure does

In CCA in the topology view window, just right click on it and then click

on smart port

Cheers,

David.

On Mar 3, 2012 1:34 AM, "smitbrandon2" <

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David.  I got the smart ports to work through firmware update but am having problems again.  See edit 2 of my last post.  Any help is appreciated

Hi Brandon,

manually set the Voice VLAN to 100, for some stupid reason they get shipped

out of factory with VLAN-1 set as the voice VLAN.

Once you have done that, then set the smart port roles using CCA, and all

other management done using CCA this way everything remains consistent.

Sorry for missing the edits, I don't get emailed them only the original

Cheers,

David.

On Mar 3, 2012 9:28 AM, "smitbrandon2" <

Hey David.  Got everything working again.  Ran into a little snag though..now the system isnt giving a voicemail indicator like it did before.  When I would leave a voicemail, it would have the little message icon blinking on the screen of the SPA508G phone and now it seems to not be functional.  Any suggestions on this?

Hi Brandon,

Sorry for my absence on the forums, I have a college that thinks I work 24/7

OK I know in CCA there is a setting/option to refresh the MWI  (Message Waiting Indicator), or at least turn it off and back on again,  the issue is I cannot remember where this is an I haven't touched CCA in months so the mapping in my head is fading away sadly

If  you find the option and this still does not resolve the problem, the  issue could be much deeper and we will then need to investigate that  further

Cheers,

David.

Unfortunately, the MWI refresh did nothing.  Its weird because it worked before I updated the firmware on the SF switch.  This is pretty much the only bug left to even out before I go live with the system too .  Any further help is greatly appreciated!

Also, our caller ID doesn't seem to be working.  Any inbound calls are marked "anonymous" and any voicemails I leave from outside are from "unknown caller."

Hi Brandon,

Question 1: I am only familiar with FW 1.0.0.8 and am not sure what newer firmware there is an what issues it might have, I normally test them in a LAB environment before installing it on any switches to understand what issues it may have before using it in a product environment.... Can you advise what firmware you are running on the switch please?

Question 2: Caller ID is a very subjective issue, the problem can reside in more than one place, either the UC has bad configuration or the carrier doesn't have CLID turned on the carrier lines, please check first that you do have CLID turned on the lines that are being used by the system, also are they PSTN, ISDN or PRI or even SIP? Let us know the medium that is being used

Cheers,

David.

The firmware is 1.1.2.0 on the SF300.  Not sure what to do to solve this.  Cisco has a troubleshooting guideline for MWI it seems, but it involves a lot of CLI stuff that I'm not comfortable with handling right now.  As far as the caller ID, our PSTN carrier told us it was active, hence why I posted, but I tested it this morning with an old telephone that has caller ID and it seems to just be a problem on our carrier's end.  Thanks for any help you can give me with the voicemail indicator problem.

Hi Brandon,

If you are up for it, would you be willing to downgrade the switch to

1.0.0.8 ?

I would like to be 100% certain it isn't a firmware issue before we do any

CLI work

Cheers,

David.

On Mar 10, 2012 12:03 AM, "smitbrandon2" <

The switch is live and I would prefer not to downgrade again.  I just know it worked before I did the firmware upgrade that enabled the smartport roles to be applied.  I upgraded the firmware to the 1.1.2.0, and then factory reset it since the phones weren't registering at all.  After the factory reset and changing the VLAN id to 100, the phones began working correctly again (besides the voicemail indicator problem).

Can you check if IGMP is enabled on the switch?

Cheers,

David.

On Mar 10, 2012 12:33 AM, "smitbrandon2" <

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: