cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Night Service Code

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

Still confused about night service code.

Floating Extension 157. SIP DID points to 157. CfwdAll - Blast group for a bunch of phones (during the day). Night service call forward all points to a different blast group (during the night). Night service code is set to *9.

What is the purpose of *9? Does it mean that anyone in the company can just dial *9 to turn off and turn on Night Service schedule? This doesn't appear to work. Is night service code used only with night service bell? If so, is there any way for users to activate night service schedule during business hours?

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Roman,

This is not my area of expertise but I thought this was an interesting question

Here's a clip from CME admin that may cover your query as well;

When a night-service code has been defined using the

night-service code command,  night service for all night-service ephone-dns

can be manually  activated or deactivated from any phone that is configured with a  night-service ephone-dn.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/command/reference/cme_n1ht.html#wp1016668

Cheers!

Rob

"Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back" - Springsteen

Hello Roman,

The *9 will force the calls to the night blast group. This can be used to override the night service schedule(for example the business closes early), or to completely control the night service manually. As Rob stated, the user's have to be assigned the DN. In CCA you have to add the users that have permission to access that DN.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

-john

Thanks John. Here is the issue though. When I go to CCA Night Service screen, I have two extensions in there 157 and 158 both setup for call forward night service and they forward to 167 and 168 respectively. The "Night Service Phones" button is actually greyed out!!! Only if I switch one of the numbers to night service bell, the night service phones button becomes available. Why is that? Do I need to do this through CLI?

BTW, 157 and 158 are floating extensions that normally forward to blast groups, and only after hours they forward to 167 and 168.

I've been beating my head against the wall with this feature with multiple UC500 installs, and I can't figure it out. Every customer complained that they have no ability to go into night service early in the day (during snow storm).

Any help is appreciated!

Hello Roman,

No need to do this through CLI. Just "turn on" night service bell for a moment, add the users, and then disable that.

Also, it is recommend that the night service extension start with either or *2, *7, *8, or *9, and be at least 2 digits.

Let me know if you have additional questions regarding this. I've done this before and have it working exactly the way you describe you would like it to work.

Thanks,

-john

Something is really screwed up with this feature. I get what you are saying, but it still doesn't work for me. Here's what I see in CCA before I start making the change:

158 call forward night service 168

157 call forward night service 167

none night service bell

none night service bell

Night Service Phones is greyed out

Night Service code *999

157 and 158 are floating extensions. All phones are SPA525G2

This is what I see in CLI:

telephony-service

night-service code *999

night-service day Sun 00:00 23:59

night-service day Mon 17:00 08:00

night-service day Tue 17:00 08:00

night-service day Wed 17:00 08:00

night-service day Thu 17:00 08:00

night-service day Fri 17:00 08:00

night-service day Sat 00:00 23:59

!

ephone-dn  568

number 157 no-reg both

description *** CCA Floating Extension ***

call-forward all 161

call-forward night-service 167

night-service bell

Attempt #1

I change 157 from "call forward night service" to "night service bell". "Night Service Phones" activates, I click on it, and add ALL phones to the list. I apply the changes. The change I see in CLI is that all ephones now have "night-service bell" command. I dial *999 from any the phones - NOTHING HAPPENS

I switch 157 from "night service bell" to "call forward night service". "Night Service Phones" greyes out. In CLI, "night-service bell" stays on all ephones, that's fine. But pressing *999 still doesn't work.

Attempt #2

This is the only way I can make it work, and I've seen this work before, but it's NOT how I need it to work. In night service window I add third entry for *one* test real extension 191:

191 night service bell

Night Service Phones button activates. By the way, when I look at that phone list, it's back to blank, probably doesn't matter since all ephones in CLI still had "night-service bell" command, but just wanted to let you know. So now it looks like this:

158 call forward night service 168

157 call forward night service 167

191 night service bell

none night service bell

Night Service Phones button is active (all phones are selected)

Night Service code *999

Now, if I press *999 on the phone with extension 191, I do get "night service is active", but ONLY on the phone with 191. If I press *999 on any other phone, nothing happens.

By the way, is there a CLI command to verify if night service is on or off?

What am I missing? I want to be able to dial *999 from ANY phone and turn off and turn on the night service.

Are you saying, that the extension specified in night service, MUST be real extension, and that's the only extension I can dial *999 from? What's the point of specifying "Night Service Phones" then?

If it's only one phone I can dial from, I guess it's not a big deal.

Hi Roman,

I think there might be some confusion over what the night service bell actually does.  The night service bell allows you to provide coverage for unstaffed extensions for night-service hours. During night-service hours, extensions configured for night service bell receive notification of incoming calls with a special "burst" ring. Phone users at the night-service phones can then use the call-pickup feature to answer incoming calls.

Having this configured on a floating extension may not be what you intended.  What is the ultimate goal of your night service configuration?  If it is to just forward the calls if the company closes early this can be accomplished from any of the extensions listed in the night service configuration that are tied to physical phones. 

Now the phones that you are able to activate the night service from again must be listed in the night service configuration.  The floating extensions are not going to allow you to activate the night service because they are not physically associated with a phone.  This is why when you place the 191 extension in the list the phone displays that the night service is active.  Try placing one of the primary extensions in the list and just do a call forward on the floating extensions.  This will allow you to activate the night service when you need to and forward the floating extensions to the 168 and 167 locations.  If you need further help let me know.  I will be happy to assist.

Thank you,

Jason Nickle