cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No ip from lan ports on UC540

bigmike10s
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure a UC540 with the 4fxo and 4fxs ports for a customer.  The equipment was bought used so I first had to do a password recovery and then I went ahead and erased the old config because it was not applicable to what I needed configured.  All documentation says to configure with CCA, that all you have to do from factory default startup-config is turn device on, connect from laptop to any one of the lan ports, then run CCA and try and then connect to 192.168.10.1 (the default admin ip) and configure using CCA.  My problem is after I erased the NVRAM so default config ran I get no ip address on my laptop connection.  I tried to go assign a ip to the lan port, won;t let me, tried the factory default config, still no ip, I even tried to see if the backup of the old config might help me but still with dhcp set on my laptop I only get the stupid windows autoconfig ip of 169.blah.blah.blah.  I even tried setting my laptop to a static ip of 192.168.10.10 /24 but CCA will not discover or let me connect to the UC540.  All documentation and blog posts I have researched now for 2 days all say the same thing, on default all you need to do is run CCA, set laptop to dhcp, plug into any of the 8 lan ports and connect to 192.168.10.1 (default config ip for CCA).  I am at a frustrating loss as to what I am doing wrong, or missing.  I see no where that says I need to configure certain things to get CCA to work, in fact everywhere and everybody says "do not use CLI to configure, use only CCA" but if I can't get the UC540 to give my a dhcp address in the same subnet, CCA will not connect.  Help please!!! 

I am running windows 7 64bit enterprise, firewalls off, tftp off, wireless adapter disabled, using CCA 3.2.1 and have factory default config, with the 8.6 IOS on flash.  what am I doing wrong fellas???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Michael,

It sounds like the default config is not loading..  Do you have a console cable to connect to the UC500?  Without a default config, you will not be able to connect to the UC540 using telnet, or CCA.  You will need a console cable to get the default configuration loaded.

Once you connect with a console cable, we can see if the UC500 is booting to a "ROMMON",  "Router", or "UC500" prompt.  This will tell us what is loading, and what will need to be done next.

Thank you,

Darren

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Michael,

Can you please attach a sh run?

The issue with CCA v. CLI config is due to the fact the SBSC doesn't support cli, or configs after cli has been used.

Best,

David

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Michael,

It sounds like the default config is not loading..  Do you have a console cable to connect to the UC500?  Without a default config, you will not be able to connect to the UC540 using telnet, or CCA.  You will need a console cable to get the default configuration loaded.

Once you connect with a console cable, we can see if the UC500 is booting to a "ROMMON",  "Router", or "UC500" prompt.  This will tell us what is loading, and what will need to be done next.

Thank you,

Darren

bigmike10s
Level 1
Level 1

Ok guys sorry for the lag on the reply ... seems I finally got it to load the default config by erasing the nvram, then issuing a copy "defaultconfig.cfg" start ... finally it took and reloaded right up in factory default config and gave me an ip in the same subnet that cca wanted and boom away I went ... now at first everything went pretty much un eventful, except for the crazy amount of time it takes to config with cca, every little step takes what seems like forever to proceed to the next step, (i think why is not only does it save after each step but it wants to connect to cisco to record usage) anyway first day went pretty smooth, configured one pots line and one voip line in, about 6 cisco ip phones, tried to get the vpn up and working but I ran into a little bit of a problem getting around the dsl modem.  Set up the voicemail, had that and the ip phones working fine off the pots and voip lines in and out.  Went home tried my vpn all I could get to was the aironet att dsl modem, did a little research and realized duh, gotta forward the ports and did that but still could not access my vpn ... so next day when i get back to the clients everybody is freaking out, no internet, no phones aaahhhh ... I tried to connect the pots line to do the failover thing to the number 3 fxs.port but that didnt seem to work, luckily the att modem had 4 ethernet ports on it and a wireless ap.  once i got the network back online through that route I went back to work on the uc540 but things didn't seem right but only configing through cca it didn't show me anything different than what I configured the day before.  Finally got the ip phones back working off the two fxo ports in, got internet working and wireless all good, set what was needed I though to get the vpn up and working, decided to make the vpn work better I configured my wan port as a pppoe to take the static isp ip, checked from a different network and boom, vpn seem to take me right into the uc540, and went home for the day ... woke up to nightmare of calls and emails "warning network and phones down .... I repeat DOWN!!!"  What the hell I thought get to clients seems to be the same senario as day before ... except the data and wireless I had left up on the att modem was also down ... I remidied it same as day before, didn't see anything wrong from cca but felt uneasy as to what was going wrong ... if I didnt' mention before this equipment was purchased used, actually I've found out by up to at least 3 other companies, and how I found that out leads to why the network seemed to go screwy in the first place ... I finally deciede to go the route that every forum and cisco person tells you not to and I consoled in cli to a uc540 ... huuuuhhhh!!! yeah that's right I did it and boy am I glad I did.  I start looking at this alien config, all kinds of things I never put their but double and triple entries for the same service or interface ... ??? what the heck, well I think what part of it was that I erased the nvram on the router part, but never erased the cue ... ah haaa you say well yeah duh wasn't thinking but also it seems that at one or more times previously in  the past someone also did some configuring through SDM and also put some crypto stuff I have never seen before ... needless to say if anyone has had to try and get what SDM puts into a router out or erased knows, it may say that it erased it but no it doesn;t   I think part of the security features at least put on this router is that the system and only the system has true access to some of the security files, like private config and others it doesnt show, most likely so that a hacker or who have you can not just erase these files taking down that security and gain access, anyway only reason I know that some other companies had owned this paticular device was because it had never been truely cleaned up and erased, I found company phone numbers, emails, voicemails, vpn's all kinds of info, it seems that if you take cca and goto do a config lets say from a different computer than had done it before, it doesn't necissarily see all that had been configed, it just allows you to go ahead and do what ever new config you do to it but never points out that other things are still left from other configs and or people ... man I tell you what I thought I was going crazy by the changes that this device was doing, seems that someone had put some security measure to check weather the security feature they had on the device was still up and protecting and if not then to turn on these default features as to secure the network and make everything in the world safe again ... at least this is what it seems has happened ... tomorrow I plan to go erase the $%(^$ out of this thing may even buy some new memory to put on it just to make sure ... only problem is I have to make sure and copy all of the IOS software from both the router and the cue otherswise I will run into this reacurring senario where I don't have the needed software, cisco will not give me access to the needed IOS or other software because most of the devices that I work on are used equipment bought off the net which means no access to precious cisco software downloads ... pain in my arse, I accidently once typed erase flash hit the return key, confirmed with the return key before I realized that was not what I intended to type it was suppose to be erase flash:"filename" not the whole damn flash but there I am, deleted IOS unintentionally and now no software to run equipment,  that cost me a pretty penny let me tell you ... just wondering if anyone else has run into similar situations with the uc500 series routers ?  another weird thing was that after I had problems the first day, I had wireless on uc540 handing out ip's dhcp from the 192.168.10.0/24 subnet, while the att router was giving out its wireless on the 192.168.0.0/24 subent, two different devices, two different dhcp servers, two different subnets, I did have the uc540 wan port taking over the static isp ip, but when I would come back in the next day, I would try to connect to the uc540 wireless and it would dhcp me 192.168.10.0/24 network ip but no internet access, then I would switch over and connect to the att wireless which should dhcp me a 192.168.0.0/24 network ip but instead it was giving me one from the uc540's subnet a 192.168.10.0/24 ip and not only that it was giving me internet access ... I redid both connections many times to make sure I wasn't just seeing things wierd but it kept on doing it, wierd for sure any way I'll fill you all in on my progress and status after tomorrow, wish me luck

Michael Thoennes

Big10s Networking

(858)945-xxxx