cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Paging through phones and external simultaneously on UC560

David Schau
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new install that just threw me a bit of a twist.  They would like to page through both the phones and an old external paging system.  I have previously used an interface between an FXO port and external paging on CUCM and CUMBE with an adapter and an access code to hit the FXP port but I am not sure if I can do both on the UC560 for the same paging code. 

Anyone here ever had any success doing both?

37 Replies 37

Did you guys ever come up with a solution to this?  I'm being asked for the same thing by a medical facility.  They want to page all of the phones AND the overhead speakers at the same time.  I'm at the beginning of my research, but I can't see a way to do this for most of the same reasons you discussed.

Fun stuff...

No direct solution from Cisco to address this common issue.  I did ask the community again a couple months ago and here is a link :

The idea I thought of trying was to "engineer" a solution that Daniel mentioned to wire the speaker on a inexpensive phone to an external amp.  I never got around to trying that but I may someday..

Hi Timothy,

What is the current paging system the Medical Center has?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

This is a brand new location, so no paging solution is in place.  I'm looking at both IP and analog based systems (mostly Valcom).  I'll end up with whatever I can get working with the system.

Hi Timothy,

Either one you use would work, however Analogue ones would be easier to work with as IP based ones will require CLI work to get them to work.

If using an analogue based system, you would place the FXS port in user mode (Not Common) when in "User" mode it makes it like any other extension and thus allows you to place it into a blast group or paging group

NOTE: The device though needs to be able to detect clear downs, or busy tone etc..etc.. Otherwise you will get a locked FXS port, in some cases you may need a powered LIU that detects this stuff and closes the port.

Just a thought for you to look at.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

What I hope isn't missed is that while what David suggests will allow for external paging , the original question was about simultaneously paging internal and external.  That function I still have not found a solution for within the UC500.  The one possibility is the option of opening up an IP phone and using it's speaker output wires as the feed for an external amp.  Then it behaves like any other internal extension.  Most places I've been don't want to use two pages to get  both.  I'm always open to listen for ideas for next time I get this.

I have a Valcom paging unit (SIP based) ariving in the next day or so.  My plan is to get the unit to register itself as a SIP device to the UC500, even if I have to use CLI to do it.  Once the paging ports are registered as extensions on the system, I should be able to add them to a paging group.  That's the theory anyway.

More to come...

TIMOTHY DAVIDSON wrote:

I have a Valcom paging unit (SIP based) ariving in the next day or so.  My plan is to get the unit to register itself as a SIP device to the UC500, even if I have to use CLI to do it.  Once the paging ports are registered as extensions on the system, I should be able to add them to a paging group.  That's the theory anyway.

More to come...

I'm afraid that is not possible with an UC500, where paging groups can be only SCCP phones. SIP paging groups are supported starting CME 9.0, that is not currently available on the UC500 due to Cisco  decisions discussed elsewhere.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US//docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmepage.html

Hi David,

As pointed out in my post I was referring to external paging since it is the topic

An external analogue system will work so long as it supports basic requirements, otherwise you will get locked FXS ports from calls to it not clearing down.

The issue is I am unable to advise on where to buy them other than my country, sadly that is as far as I can go

But 100% analogue paging systems work, SIP based ones do not without some fancy CLI work and therin lays the problem.... Well at least untill Software Pack 8.5 onwards (I hope).

Cheers,

David.

OK guys,

Here is how to make it work.  I'm using a Valcom VIP-201 SIP paging system (2.19 firmware) and a UC520 with the latest code.

The UC500 uses multicasting for it's paging functionality, so the config would look something like this (after configuring through CCA):

ephone-dn  48

number 106 no-reg primary

description IP-Paging6

name Test2

paging ip 239.1.1.6 port 2000

!

The Valcom unit has the ability to listen on a custom multicast address.....so, I just configure a Valcom audio group with 239.1.1.6:2000 as the listen address, and BAM!  paging on phones and speakers.  I can even do up to four different multicast groups on this model.

Cool stuff.

Let me know if you have any questions.

That is great info! Rated.

TIMOTHY!!!!

Your a genius man

Well done LOL This is what makes the forums so good and a big success, this type of advice will go a long way to help people out now and for months to come

Great work Mate!!!

Cheers,

David.

This is great info and should be very helpful for many of us on the UC500 installs.  Great job figuring out what it takes to make this work!

Dave

Just thought I'd chime in here with an alternative solution -- we do this on a pretty regular basis.

We have found that the cheapest/easiest way is to just use a cheap SPA phone. (such as the SPA501)

You can open up the case of the phone, cut out the speakerphone, and run a wire from the speaker wires out the side of the phone. Then you simply wire that into your overhead paging amp, and mount it on the wall or put it in the rack by the UC.

You can then include that phone in paging groups just like any other phone.

I also like Daniel's solution, and rated it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: