Views
Helpful
Replies

Placing the UC560 in an existing Network

FAST-DETECT
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm currently tinkering about how/where to place the UC560 in our network.

Currently our site has PPPoE WAN connection via GPON (FTTB).

A slim open source FW solution (pfsense) is currently used for:

- pppoe dial-in,

- NAT

- Firewall ;-)

- DHCP-server

- site2site VPN to our data-center colo

The private network behind our current firewall is: 10.10.0.0/16, we ware using series 300 switches which support CDP and VLAN

My preferred solution would be to not change anything, disable all wan capabilities of the UC560 and placing it within the 10.10.0.0/16.

Since we don't have site2site telephony or SIP-trunks there is no issue on the FW side.

The Voice VLAN is currently configured to use VLAN 100 and the 10.20.0.0./16 network.

The tasks that would have to achieved are in my opinion:

1) disabling the WAN interface on the UC560

2) disabling the DHCP server for the 10.10.0.0/16 on the UC560

3) pointing the UC560 to our existing DNS-server and gateway.

Regarding the tasks:

1) is it sufficient to just unplug the cable from the wan port to have it shut down?

2) Deleting the 10.10.0.0/16 DHCP config on the UC560, but leaving the 10.20.0.0/16 DHCP config alone would disable DHCP on my data vlan which gets its dhcp services from my firewall box - right?

3) Do I need CLI to achieve this or is there some place within CCA to set the gw and dns on the data vlan?

Any further suggestions to my setup?

Regards,

Fabian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

danielwiebe
Level 1
Level 1

1) is it sufficient to just unplug the cable from the wan port to have it shut down?

Pretty much yes. That would cause it not to work

2)  Deleting the 10.10.0.0/16 DHCP config on the UC560, but leaving the  10.20.0.0/16 DHCP config alone would disable DHCP on my data vlan which  gets its dhcp services from my firewall box - right?

There is an option in CCA to disable DHCP for whichever vlan's you like. (Older versions of CCA used to be either CLI or limit the scope to no addresses)

3) Do I need CLI to achieve this or is there some place within CCA to set the gw and dns on the data vlan

You do not need CLI for this. Refer to CCA help pages on router and network settings; It's all there.

One thing you will need to add to the GW router is a static route to the CUE subnet so people can access CUE. Also system backups will fail if the route is not created.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

danielwiebe
Level 1
Level 1

Pretty much yes. That would cause it not to work

2)  Deleting the 10.10.0.0/16 DHCP config on the UC560, but leaving the  10.20.0.0/16 DHCP config alone would disable DHCP on my data vlan which  gets its dhcp services from my firewall box - right?

There is an option in CCA to disable DHCP for whichever vlan's you like. (Older versions of CCA used to be either CLI or limit the scope to no addresses)

3) Do I need CLI to achieve this or is there some place within CCA to set the gw and dns on the data vlan

You do not need CLI for this. Refer to CCA help pages on router and network settings; It's all there.

One thing you will need to add to the GW router is a static route to the CUE subnet so people can access CUE. Also system backups will fail if the route is not created.

Hi Daniel,

thanks I probably would have overlooked that!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: