cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Please help: UC560 voice messages cutoff due to rtp config

Mike Glencross
Level 1
Level 1

We’ve been using a UC560 for a few years with very little trouble. Recently our provider (voip.ms) made changes/upgrades that have created an issue with inbound (outside our pbx system) callers leaving messages (only with voice messages). Voice messages are cut off at 1:11, the caller is abruptly disconnected while leaving their message. We are not having any trouble leaving voice messages within our pbx/network, users can call and leave messages with other users that are several minutes long with not trouble. I believe we’ve narrowed the issue down to voip.ms server disconnecting the call due to silence on our end of the connection while the voice message is being recorded.

VOIP.MS Support Reply To Issue:

In the case of our system, there is a RTP time out, however it's by default set to 30 seconds, this means that if in that period of time our system doesn't receive any RTP package (audio) the call will end. This is why we recommend to have your system sending RTP packets periodically in order to keep the call active when it's on hold for example, and in this case I suggest you to confirm your system is sending that information when the call reach your voicemail.

There are no advanced RTP settings in the UC560 gui. I’m going to need to make the changes using cli on the UC560. I'm hoping someone here can provide me with the cli commands to help me out?

On a possibly related note: we are behind an ASA5200 and connected to 2 stacked 3750’s… do I need to configure RTP time out on those devices?

Thank you in advance for any advice and assistance.

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well, I have no experience with UC5xx platform at all, but you may try to use codec sending RTP packets even during silence. Like G.711u. It may or may not help you to solve the issue.

Thank you for the input. In the Cisco Config Assistant (gui) there is a setting for "Preferred Voice Codec" which is set to "G711ulaw". The only other options within available are G729 and G711alaw. I've tried switching to both but no luck. I reset back to G711ulaw. 

Thanks again.

Mike Glencross
Level 1
Level 1

Solution found! I changed the voice codec option on the voip.ms side to force G729 rather than G711ulaw. 

All is well again. 

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: