cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Policy Based Routing - Failover/Load Balancing in UC500

PETE KOFOD
Level 1
Level 1

Can I configure the UC500 to to have do policy based routing for failover between two ISPs, using Sub Interfaces on the WAN (F0/0) interface and then setting ip sla with tracking.

The goal is to set up a redundant path to our SIP service provider.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Not supported on the UC500 with CCA.  Dual WAN and multiple SIP providers is on the roadmap.

View solution in original post

Perhaps, or maybe an SA500 which has dual WAN.  But neither will give you dual SIP providers.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Not supported on the UC500 with CCA.  Dual WAN and multiple SIP providers is on the roadmap.

In the meanwhile is the solution to put an 1811 in front of the UC500?

- Pete

Perhaps, or maybe an SA500 which has dual WAN.  But neither will give you dual SIP providers.

Steven:

Thank you.  Not looking for dual SIP providers, just redundant paths from different ISPs.

- Pete

Hi Steven

Is it possible to configure dual WAN or 2 different Sip trunks on UC520 TO THIS DATE

THANKS

SHAMEER

It is still not possible with CCA, however it is possible in CLI (via IP SLA).

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Shameer,

The latest version of CCA should support Dual SIP trunks, but not Dual WAN.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

None of our clients look at the internet as business critical.

We have no need for reliable internet connectivity nor automatic failover capabilities in our Cisco UC540 products.

We dont want faxes delievered directly to our email InBox via our SIP trunks, either. We like love the tired old thermal printer in the corner and the rolls of paper it feeds on.

Thank you.

Ryan-Kramer
Level 1
Level 1

I have been deploying a Cisco 1811 or Cisco 891, in front of the UC540/UC560 appliance, to provide dual WAN redundancy. Essentially the goal was to have a dedicated aDSL for SIP (Provided by our SIP provider) and a dedicated connection for the remaining IP traffic. If either of the connections fail, traffic is automatically rolled over to the working connection.

I utilized the following technologies to provide seamless failover between ISP’s.

IP SLA – To send ICMP echo packets to downstream routers

PBR/Tracking – Source based routing to direct traffic out the appropriate ISP. Tracking is used to track the states of the IP SLA probes, essentially if a specified amount of time goes by without a response from the downstream router, the connection is presumed down and PBR stops sending traffic out that interface.

EEM – Used to clear the dynamic NAT entries after failover. This was a critical feature for us. Without EEM the dynamic NAT entries remained in the NAT table and caused traffic to be directed out the incorrect interface.  I also typically use EEM to send an email status notification indicating the connection is down.

Note the Cisco SR500 series does NOT support EEM. I initially wanted to use the Cisco SR500 with a sub interface for each WAN connection.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: