cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPPoE will not work with UC540

jcarter
Level 4
Level 4

I have 3 different sites with AT&T DSL that I cannot get to work with the UC540 setup as PPPoE.  It is very frustrating.  I have 2 different SBSC cases open with no real results.  I tried using a bridge modem and a Netopia 3546 router.  The Netopia works if not in bridge mode but as soon as I put it in bridge mode, it stops working.  It would work without bridge mode if I could run it without NAT but that will not work with a dynamic IP.  I am configuring the connection through CCA.

I did get a DSL connection working in our office by changing a line in the Dialer interface config.  I changed ppp authentication chap pap callin to ppp authentication chap callin.  I tried this at the other sites but it made no difference.

Here is what I get when I run PPPoE and PPP debugs:

004981: PPPoE: Cannot get subblock when clearing client sessions on idb

004948:  padi timer expired
004949:  Sending PADI: Interface = FastEthernet0/0

Their main phone number is supposed to port to SIP tomorrow so I am in a bit of a time crunch.  I tried forwarded port 5060 through the Netopia to the UC540 but SIP would not work.

I tried software packs 8.0.5 and 8.1 with the same results.

8 Replies 8

rcastill
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried to authenticate with an XP machine once you put the Netopia router in bridge mode?  Verify that this works first.  I will look into any known issues with the PPPoE functionality and post what I find.  Every XP machine can add a PPPoE connection so it is possible to verify that your bridged mode is working.

That is the strange thing.  It will not work connected to my laptop.  I have at least 20 other sites configured on my laptop that work so I know my laptop is not a problem.  I tested with a zoom adsl bridge modem connected to my laptop so there was no configuration needed to put it in bridge mode.  The DSL connection does work with the Netopia router so it is not that it doesn't work at all.

Jason,

Do you have static IPs from AT&T or are you using dynamic? Also, can you post a running config at any sort of network diagram of how your client sites are laid out?  I'm guessing you have the WAN of the UC540 connected to the Netopia connected to the DSL modem.  Correct?

Brent

It is a dynamic IP.  If it was static, I could make it work by authenticating on the netopia and turning off nat to pass the public IP to the UC540.

Incoming DSL line -----> Netopia Router ------> UC540 WAN port.  If the Netopia is not in bridge mode, it works with the Netopia WAN side getting the public IP.  The Netopia LAN side is 192.168.1.254.  The UC540 WAN port could either run dhcp or have a static ip in the 192.168.1.x range.  I do not want to do it this way.  I wanted to bridge the netopia, do PPPoE on the UC540, and pass the public IP to the UC540.

Here is the interface on the UC540

interface Dialer1
description $FW_OUTSIDE$
ip address negotiated
ip access-group 104 in
ip mtu 1452
ip nat outside
ip inspect SDM_LOW out
ip virtual-reassembly in
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer-group 1
ppp authentication chap pap callin
ppp chap hostname xxxxxxxx@att.net
ppp chap password 7 0011180E57035E
ppp pap sent-username xxxxxxxxx@att.net password 7 051E0D0772141B
ppp ipcp dns request

More information:

I came back to our office.  I connected my laptop to our dsl connection and connected using the xp connection I set up at the place that is not working.  It connected no problem with their login information.  I did not change anything.  It is strange that their login works at one physical location and not another.

Are you sure your netopia is setup for a bridging.

I usually telnet into the router, enter 'conf' command

and paste in the contents of the file attached.

When you exit I think you are prompted to save config.

Back up your config first though and check the vpi/vci and encap settings for your carrier and modify the file accordingly.

I was able to configure my AT&T DSL circuit with SIP overlay from les.net for my demo lab with PPPoE authentication on the UC540 set as ip-negotiated. The only difference is that I am directly connected to the DSL modem and I don't have the Netopia box in the middle to contend with.  I've got some calls into the support community regarding Jason's situation specifically, but removing the Netopia box (even temporarily until we figure out if adding it in can work) may be a solution.

Brent

I think the situation is kind of figured out.  In my area, AT&T is putting in U-Verse DSL on all new DSL installs.  The restrictions are tighter for this new DSL.  They will not let you put in a 3rd party bridged device.  This is what I was told at least.  The PPPoE sites that are working are the older style of DSL.

The site had a 2wire router from AT&T.  There was a setting for DMZplus mode that passes that public IP to the UC540.  This is what worked for me.  It seems like I will be alright to use the 2wire for sites with dynamic IPs by using the DMZplus and the Netopia at sites with static IPs by turning off NAT to pass the public IP to the UC540.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: