cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Printer names not resolving?

JOHN THIEN
Level 1
Level 1

I replaced a working Tomato-firmware-based router and Netgear 16-port 10/100 switch today with a UC320 and a SF200-24P.

I booted up all the PC's and I can resolve all the PC names to IP addresses, and ping them.  So from any workstation I can ping "server" and I will get the IP address and ping the thing.

When I try to use the host name of the Dell 3110 printers (like DELL421A71), the name won't resolve.  Looking at the status screens/DHCP clients, I see the printer is registered, I see the Client Name = the host name of the printer, it just won't resolve.

So the UC320 won't do this for me?  Is it possible to bind a MAC address to an IP address, via the UC320, and provide a host name that will resolve?

Any pointers?

BTW, using the UC320 as my router.

1 Reply 1

JOHN THIEN
Level 1
Level 1

Just to follow-up...  The UC320 doesn't seem to be able to reserve IP addresses to specific MAC addresses, and associate them with a host name.

Not wanting to visit about a dozen PC's and create three new TCP/IP printer ports for each printer, I decided to create a hosts file with the IP addresses and host names of the printers.

I had to set each of the printers to a static IP, but at least I didn't have to create three new ports at each of the workstations (just copied the hosts file).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: