Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with Configuration Utility for UC320W

Hello,

I connected my recently purchased UC320W directly from the WAN port to my router and my laptop directly to one of the LAN ports. I powered it up and logged into the config utlity using  a web browser (after discovering that I needed to downgrade my version of Flash :-( ) and the device immediately asked to update the firmware, several times, which I did). After that I logged in again and configured the network topology. I selected voice + data with an external DHCP. Soon after applying these changes I lost connection to the config utility, which is somewhat what I expected. However the problem is that now I can no longer access the config utlity. I have tried the IP address my router has assigned it, using WI-FI and when connected directly to LAN port on the device and have tried the defualts 192.168.10.1 and "http://uc320w." without any success. Does anyone have any idea how to get past this? TIA.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi, some of what you say rang a bell, when I was trying to do something similar with my set up last year. I'll describe my setup and what I wanted and then how I managed to get it all to work!

I have a UC320W with a couple of SPA504G phones, which connect with the Wireless phone adapters. The main modem/router is an SRP547W.

What I wanted was for the SRP547 to handle all non-phone DHCP requests.

The SRP547 to also handle all WiFi connections (including the phones - so I could completely disable the UC320 WiFi).

Still use the spare UC320 ethernet ports as a switch from the SRP547W.

Everything appears to be working well now, though as you have found it seems to be a bit of trial and error! Anyhow, these are my settings:

On the UC320:

Topology     -     The UC320W Routes Voice Only

Obtain Data VLAN     -     Static IP Address on the data LAN - Default Gateway is the SRP547 address

WAN          -     WAN type DHCP

LAN           -     Voice LAN is separate to the main data LAN and is set with its own DHCP range.

Wireless     -     All disabled

On the SRP547

One DHCP server created for the data LAN

VLAN Settings - Data_VLAN ID=1 Address Type - DHCP Server Pool - Membership includes SSID1

Voice_VLAN ID=100 Address Type - Dynamic IP Address - Membership inlcudes SSID2

Wireless     - SSID1 created for data connections

SSID2 created for phone connections (SPA504's wireless adaptors join this network).

As far as cabling go, I had to connect the UC320 WAN port to an SRP547 port AND a UC320 Ethernet port to another SRP547 port - this maybe where your problem lies?

So the SRP547 is the DHCP server for all connections on the data LAN and the UC320 is the DHCP server for the phone connections, but the phone's WiFi goes via the SRP547.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but it has all been working flawlessly in this setup for a while now!

Let me know if you need any other details or suggestions.

Regards

Clive

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

wenyang
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jules,

Have you configured your external DHCP server for the data VLAN of UC320W? You need to find the data VLAN IP address from your DHCP server and use this IP address to access into Configure Utility.

Best regards,

Wendy

I tried the IP address that the router assigned to the MAC address reported in config utility. I also tried all other IP addresses assigned by the router. Am I missing something?

Hi,

If you open a command prompt on your PC and do a 'arp -a'   several times, then compare with the MAC address on the bottom of the unit you might see the UC320's IP address.  Note that it will be off by 1 from the WAN MAC.

The other option is to factory reset the UC320W and try again.  Hold down the reset button on the side for a consecutive 15 seconds (if you slip off the button it will be counted as a restart instead of factory reset)

Chris

So after a few days of trying to get my uc320 to work with an external DCHP server, I gave up and wired the WAN port directly to my modem. This worked and I was able to set-up the uc320 as I wanted. However this is not ideal since my modem has little to no security features. So today I attempted to again change my topology config to use an external DHCP server and wired it to one of the LAN ports on my router. Again, same issue as before, that being I can't log into the config utility. I ckecked the ARP table and it appears the MAC address reported in the config utility (when I changed the topology) is not getting an IP address. The UC320 is getting one address assigned to it but not to the exact same MAC address. I really need this to work with an external DHCP server so any help is appreciated.

BTW, if it helps. my router is a Cisco WRVS4400N, if that helps. TIA.

Hmmm.....

I occasionally experience a similar problem which prevents all communication - it can, on occasion, also prevent all communication over my network - don't know if you have experienced this.  To fix it, I have to unplug the wan port completely, connect the UC320 to my network via one of its LAN ports.  Now, switch off the UC320 AND ALSO your switch/es.  Turn the UC back on and wait for the light to stop flashing then turn the switch/es back on.

Check you can connect to the UC320 configuration page and then plug the WAN port back in.  Hey presto, all is back to normal.  Strange but it works.

My box is also configured for external DHCP.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi, some of what you say rang a bell, when I was trying to do something similar with my set up last year. I'll describe my setup and what I wanted and then how I managed to get it all to work!

I have a UC320W with a couple of SPA504G phones, which connect with the Wireless phone adapters. The main modem/router is an SRP547W.

What I wanted was for the SRP547 to handle all non-phone DHCP requests.

The SRP547 to also handle all WiFi connections (including the phones - so I could completely disable the UC320 WiFi).

Still use the spare UC320 ethernet ports as a switch from the SRP547W.

Everything appears to be working well now, though as you have found it seems to be a bit of trial and error! Anyhow, these are my settings:

On the UC320:

Topology     -     The UC320W Routes Voice Only

Obtain Data VLAN     -     Static IP Address on the data LAN - Default Gateway is the SRP547 address

WAN          -     WAN type DHCP

LAN           -     Voice LAN is separate to the main data LAN and is set with its own DHCP range.

Wireless     -     All disabled

On the SRP547

One DHCP server created for the data LAN

VLAN Settings - Data_VLAN ID=1 Address Type - DHCP Server Pool - Membership includes SSID1

Voice_VLAN ID=100 Address Type - Dynamic IP Address - Membership inlcudes SSID2

Wireless     - SSID1 created for data connections

SSID2 created for phone connections (SPA504's wireless adaptors join this network).

As far as cabling go, I had to connect the UC320 WAN port to an SRP547 port AND a UC320 Ethernet port to another SRP547 port - this maybe where your problem lies?

So the SRP547 is the DHCP server for all connections on the data LAN and the UC320 is the DHCP server for the phone connections, but the phone's WiFi goes via the SRP547.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but it has all been working flawlessly in this setup for a while now!

Let me know if you need any other details or suggestions.

Regards

Clive

Hi Clive,

I wanted to let you know that your suggestion seems to have resolved my issue. I would never have guessed that I needed to connect both WAN and a LAN port to the router. Thanks for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: