Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PSTN Cable

Hi,

There does not appear to be a SKU listing for a UK PSTN cable.  We had issues recently with cables we purchased from a retail outlet which were not wired correctly.  Could anyone suggest in the UK where would be the best place to purchase these?

I'm looking for PSTN to RJ11 (FXO Port).

Hope that makes sense?

Paul                  

9 Replies 9

abillington
Level 1
Level 1

hi Paul,

got a site running multiple FXO to BT connectors, using two types of

cable. First is an inherited one from an old phone system, so that's

prob not helpful Second is RJ11-RJ11 extension cables with a

'normal' modem plug converter on the BT end, no reports of

faults/issues.

Will check where cables/converters came from: I'm at that site

tomorrow so will check their FXO lines actually work with reasonable

quality, and update this. If any problems on the FXOs, I have a

service outage given long weekend (on Monday) so will be able to look

into it more.

Andy

On 31/05/2012, pcparamedicsolutions

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Paul,

Try and use a 2 Pair RJ-12 cable instead, this way you cannot go wrong with the pin-out wiring

Other than that, ask the Distie or if you are the client, then ask the Partner to get it for you, 9 times out of ten you will get it for free

Or alternatively, use the ones that come with the Cisco 800 series routers, they work like a treat, but they are a 2 pair RJ-12 cable hence why I like them a lot

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I've spoken to distribution (Computer 2000) they do not stock a PSTN Cable.  I've spoken with our Cisco account manager who says "They don't stock PSTN cables as different countries use different cables".  I guess you could say the same about power cables.....

This actually caused us a good few hours of troubleshooting last week when we purchased PSTN cables from Maplins which were not wired correctly.  We ended up buying some cheap Binatone analogue phones and robbed the cables off them.  Obviously this isn't really what we want to be doing in front of clients who have invested in a UC5xx system.

Paul

Hi Paul,

A little disappointed in your Distie with that reply, I have never heard of

that or they way they explained it.

Seriously consider finding another Distie and also voice your disapproval

to your Cisco account manager because that is nonsense, Cisco even have a

product code for it.

Cheers,

David Trad

"Sent from my Acer Iconia A500"

On Jun 1, 2012 7:55 AM, "pcparamedicsolutions" <

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

When I say Cisco Account manager I mean "Cisco" not at the distributor.

The exact quote was "

Ultimately the UC500 is a global product so it would be impossible for us to have a local PSTN cable for every locale.

"           

If you are disputing this do you have any idea what the SKU code is ?

Thanks,

Paul

That is common telephone cable, you can use anything you have around, and there is no need to order from Cisco.

Wrong wiring is kind of unlikely as the only connected pins is the two middle ones, and there is no polarity.

ADAM CRISP
Level 4
Level 4

Try maplins. They've got lots of telephone stuff like that.

What can I tell you, we purchased PSTN cables from Maplins and they didn't work.

The phones rang but no voice, we replaced the cables with ones from some analogue phones and they worked. So I can only assume they are wired differently and don't work with the UC500.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Oh that's annoying. Glad you got it working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: