Views
Helpful
Replies

RE: SPA525G white screen since update to spa525g-7-5-4-bt.bin

propharmarenens
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Today I updated my phone to the latest firmware (spa525g-7-5-4-bt.bin). After the reboot the phone displayed a blank white screen. The update process worked, I can access the web interface I can send and receive calls, the firmware on the phone is 7.5.4 but the screen remains white.

I tried to downgrade the phone to my initial firmware version (7.4.8) but the problem is the same. I tried to reset the phone to factory settings with no luck.

Hope someone could help me, an IP phone with an blank white screen isn't verty usefull.

Regards.

6 Replies 6

yajoshi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for providing a detailed description of the issue.

I have several SPA525G phones in my Lab and have been moving them back and forth between the versions 7-5-x and 7-4-x with no problems. It seems strange for the display to go blank abruptly.

Can you please send a screenshot of the screen ?

Was there anything unusual that you noticed while the phone was upgrading the firmware ?

How many SPA525G phones are we talking about ?

Any other details that you would want to highlight would be good.

Action Plan:

>> Please try factory resetting the phone once and check if the display changes.

>> Once factory reset try bringing it back to the firmware 7-5-4.

Hope this helps !

Regards
Yash Joshi

CCIE Voice #  31109

Regards Yash Joshi CCIE Voice # 31109

Hi Yash,

thanks for taking time to answer.

We have 4 phones in our office and I started upgrading one. Always better to brick one instead of four , so yet one phone is crashed. I didn't notice anything strange during the update process, the phone rebooted after the update with the white screen.

If  I configure the phone from the webinterface (provisioning) everything  works except the screen, I can place call, answer, use the bluetooth,  ...

I did a factory reset: started the phone, pressed the  speaker button and selected "recovery reset" then "OK". I did it  simultaneously on another working phone to see what I was doing. The  phone restarted but again with the white screen. I also re-flashed the  phone to the 7.5.4 version.

I installed a syslog-ng server on a  Linux machine to read the syslog of the phone with a level 3 debug but  nothing interesting came up.

Here's a youtube video of my problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW9QXIZchMA

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

It seems that you have one bad phone with you. I would suggest upgrading the firmware on the second phone and that should work fine. I understand in-case you do not have spare sets with you and will not be willing to do it.

If thats the case, I would suggest getting an RMA done for this phone and having a replacement delivered. If you have a support contract to get a ticket opened with Cisco, replacement should not take much time. Otherwise you can contact the local re-seller to replace the phone.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards
Yash Joshi

CCIE Voice # 31109

Regards Yash Joshi CCIE Voice # 31109

vern.brownell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there propharmarenes,

I just upgraded by spa525g to spa525g-7-5-4-bt.bin and immediately after the firmware upgrade I now have the identical blank white screen.  Phone functions and is accessable by the network.  Did you ever get resolution to your problem?

Thanks much!

Vern

Hi Vern,

I have the same problem, no change after downgrade, still blanbk white screen.

Is ther a solution in teh meantime or is it an hardware problem?

Ruediger

Hi vern, hi everybody,

For several month I put the bricked SPA525G away and didnt use it. Today I connected it again and got the white screen. I updated it then with the oldest Firmware, I could found (7.1.7), and after reboot....

Hurray!!! Ithe display was back again.

So I tried to update again the newest version (7.5.6) and.......oh no...it is white again.

So I decide to let it on the oldest Firmware, but this time, it does not work. The screen stays white!

What a mess, why did I made the update...

I booted several times and test several Versions of the firmware. Nothing happend. Sometimes I could see the menu very pale. Looks like there is not enough contact or so.

Puh. I tried several temperatures, cold, hot...hmmmm ... nothing

Ok I put it away for some month again, ....

Somebody else, who has this problem and find a solution?

Pasadena

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: